Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gray Screen on my Tivo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    good to hear. my replacement unit started off badly with not being able to pick up any tv channels when i was installing it, and coming up gray screen issue when watching live tv.

reboot seemed to have fixed this issue.

Your signal strength is quite high, but I think TiVo support are mistaken in their diagnosis.

If you see a gray screen on live TV this does indicate an issue with the signal. But the gray screen will also have a banner advising there is an issue with the signal, and will not stop the other functions of the TiVo working.

If you cannot access the menus then your TiVo has locked up and this should not have been caused by having a high signal level.

The TiVo will work happily without any antenna attached (obviously can't record or watch live TV).

Can you try rebooting without the antenna connected, and see if you have the same symptoms.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Re-boot without the Antenna

Peter

I disconnected the antenna and plugged back in my Tivo , and what do you know after about 20 Minutes it re-booted, and re-booted, and then went to the grey screen.

Looking in the US TiVo forums, it sound like a suspect power supply, but I think that the support guys roles are like insurance companies, deny, deny deny, and then deny, just dont get the device for repair if at all possible.

Well its 5:30, to late to organise a courier, today, so I guess that support have won, for another weekend.

I'm not sure how I go about bagging TiVo, but I have options available, I'm sure Channel 9 would be pleased to Bag Channel 7 and TiVo Australia for lack of (Genuine ) support,

Malcolm
    Last edited by gbhills; 30-12-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issues with my three week old TiVo in NZ. I initially dealt with Telecom NZ but have now been escalated to TiVo support in Australia. I have supplied them with the same details as gbhills and now seem to be on the same merry-go-round.

Stuart.

Hi StuWorld,

I gather that your TiVo, worked OK for a few weeks ?

In the initial stages the 5 hr cold boot process was frustrating, and then after that failed, to have to do it again, and again, to recover diagnostic information, before it rebooted again was a pain and just added yet another day to make another phone call to tell them that it still doesn't work.

I have not heard from Tivo support today, but I will join the phone queue shortly, so support knows that "No my issue has not been resolved"

How is consumer Law in NZ, can you claim to Telecom thats its now unfit for purpose and wish them to replace the unit ? as it only 3 weeks old ?

Malcolm

TiVo have a return system in place where they send you a replacement and you return the faulty unit to them in the same packaging.

You should tell support you tested without the aerial and push for a replacement to be sent out.

If it's easier you may be able to get a direct replacement from the retailer. By law they are responsible for Warranty issues, but policies vary.

Some will suggest you use the TiVo system others will do a swap to keep customers happy.

I'm going to suggest Hybrid have a look at this thread and see what sort of support is being offered.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi Pete,

Well I pushed Tivo for a changeover / replacement unit, and I was told that my issue had been escalated to a manager, who is not on site, and it is not usual protocol to contact the manager via phone, but it would be expressed in the email, that the next step ( what ever that is ) should be taken.

Perhaps some else is going to ignore my issue.

My patience with TiVo support is wearing out, its a Public Holiday tomorrow and then the weekend, so I guess I'm screwed. this week at least.

Thanks TiVo support, or should I say "Tivo Lack of Support".

I did wait today for Tivo to contact me either via email or Mobile, as I had given my number to the support guys to try and speed things up.

I am aware its the slow week between Christmas and new year, but why run a support desk, if the result is just to take your calls, and try and resolve user errors, and no genuine support for an actual product failure ?

If noting is going to happen for two week stop jerking me around and tell me that the managers are away, we cant approve anything, ( we are not allowed to ) , and the company has taken holidays and not approved anyone to assist in the change over process.

I gather that all the TEch staff are away, also, so Tivo support over the holidays, is a total planing, and manpower resource farce.

Happy new year to every one, and I hope that you never ever have to use Tivo support for an actual issue ( hardware) with your TiVo.
    I hope for me, that I will get my Tivo working sometime next week.

Cheers

Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by gbhills View Post
    and I hope that you never ever have to use Tivo support for an actual issue ( hardware) with your TiVo.
    For after warranty issues at least TiVo owners have a choice, however I don't encourage warranty repairs be carried out by me because I'm not an official TiVo service centre so sorry I can't help.... Although I've already had a couple of people approach me with an in-warranty repair and risked voiding the warranty as they believed I would do a superior job

Here's hoping you get speedy service when people come back to work on Monday. Be sure to keep us up to date.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I have been speaking with the CEO of hybrid about this over the weekend.

I have included some of her replies below:

I really appreciate the time you took to send me this message. I have forwarded it to two guys in my team - we worked so hard to get a new customer service supplier.

<snipped>

This is terrible - the only good thing is that the tivo does not often have problems so our customer issues are not significant - but the ones that do have a problem seem to get inconsistent responses from our support team.

I cant say anything more than thank you for telling me and that we are on the job - this is our number one priority - unfortunately it wont take seconds to fix...

Rob

Can you please PM me your TSN and mytivo user name, and I'll pass it on to Robbee.

Peter.