Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Failed while loading series.' Error on Setup Call

Hi Peter,

Yes, sorry I did get confused. I was looking at both those threads. I concluded that it might be easier to get the internal modem working for a test.

I guess either way, so long as I can prove/rule out that its the cachecard drivers causing some sort of problem with the indexing on the first call home. This is why I thought of trying the Turbonet card as well.

In any case, work is going to get in the way of me trying this until tomorrow, but I will be certain to follow up and report back here.

Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hatt View Post
    I concluded that it might be easier to get the internal modem working for a test.
    Unless you have access to a dialup ISP that the TiVo likes talking to (harder than it sounds) the best option would be to try the Turbonet option first.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Ok, the plot thickens! I have now tried the Turbonet card and it has made no difference to the problem (i.e. on the first call home it loads data up to 100% then stops with the message 'Failed while loading series').

With the recent testing I recreated the image totally: booted from Oztivo disk, restored the "pvr10uk.255.oztivo_emulator.release1.3beta" image, installed the turbonet drivers, and then put the drive straight into the TiVo.

I did not boot off any SiliconDust boot images, so we can rule this out as the source of the problem.

I have also tried other ideas such as manually creating the swap partition (in case the swap partition is causing lack of temp space) and updating the time on the TiVo in case a warped clock was somehow causing the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow the file on minnie for the first call home has changed somehow, and this is now no longer compatable with UK TiVos. (This would only show up when someone was re-doing their setup, I guess.) I have built UK Tivo's 4 times previously (12 to 18 months ago) and did not had this problem once.

Is there any way to verify this? Or does anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks,
    Dave

A bit of an update on my ongoing issue...

After trying many things to get this UK TiVo working I thought I would try to clone another UK TiVo that is still working fine (i.e. doing daily calls with no "Failed to load series" messages happening).

Well the cloning part worked just fine and I was able to change the IP address, get it to record, make test calls and even get it to do a daily call. However to my dismay I am still seeing the "Failed to load series" message. This time it is at the end of the daily calls data load process (it gets up to 98%+ in the indexing before the message comes up). It has been operating this way for 3 days now with no improvement. That said, I can see that *some* guide data is getting loaded, so not all is lost here!

So to summarise, so far I have tried 2 different Network Cards, 3 different HDDs in the TiVo, and even 2 different Hubs. This TiVo is now connected to the same hub and network connection that is working just fine for the other UK TiVo that it was cloned from, but still I can't solve this problem!

I guess it could be corruption in the MFS database, but I find it unlikely because the source machine is having no problems. I will keep pondering and trying things, but if anyone has any ideas, no matter how wild, I would appreciate them!

Just confirming that you changed the MAC address of the network card when you cloned.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi Pete,

Yes, I did remember to change the MAC address when I changed the IP address (I'm using fixed addresses). Both TiVos can be seen properly on my network, I can access TiVoWeb on both and use TyTools on both.

But I appreciate the thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hatt View Post
    I will keep pondering and trying things, but if anyone has any ideas, no matter how wild, I would appreciate them!
    Well I guess the only thing you haven't mentioned doing is putting the hard disk as it now stands (ie don't touch any settings) into the "good" TiVo and verifying that the error vanishes.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Good point! It's probably going to be a job for the weekend, but I like the idea, thanks! At least this could help narrow things down.

Another thing I believe I forgot to mention is that this TiVo was working fine for ages, and then suddenly started having errors one day. I took it out of service, and can't remember the exact errors, but now that I think about it they could have been the same "failed to load series" errors that I am getting now on daily calls. I can't think of any condition that would suddenly cause this sort of problem, especially hardware ones.

Ok, I have to confess that the weekend got away from me and I didn't get a chance to try the suggestion of swapping the TiVo HDD out to a functioning TiVo to see whether its the hardware or the disk image that could be causing the problem. However I still aim to do this because I'm still very interested in trying this out to see what happens.

That said, I've tried a few other things after reading a few other threads about what to do to fix the problem. Some threads suggested that a "Reset Thumb Ratings & Suggestions" would fix the problem. Others said "Clear Programme Data & To Do List". I performed both of these commands on the TiVo but they made no difference to my "Failed to Load Series" problem.

One more thing to note, is that I am actually getting guide data, despite the error! I guess this reflects that something is going wrong at the end of the indexing stage. This makes sense as it seems to get to 100% indexing consistently now and then fail a short while after that. So whatever it is performing at the end of the process is failing, but I can't figure out what. Even Season Passes seem to be working fine, so that's not it.

So, even with the error, it seems that the TiVo is functioning mostly normally. Wierd!

This is the same problem I am getting trying to use the UK image in your Otverr log you have:

Sep 22 18:02:14 (none) Database[150]: Duplicate index: /Genre/120
    Sep 22 18:02:14 (none) last message repeated 4 times
    Sep 22 18:02:14 (none) DbLoad[150]: err 0x00030012 loading group item
    Sep 22 18:02:14 (none) DbLoad[150]: Error in DbLoader::Process -- 0x00030012

I've posted a message about this on the mailing list. Warren tells me it's because the tivo is trying to load the US Genre slice, which conflicts with the genres already in the UK image