Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Since I don't really intend to access any downloadable content, it doesn't bother me overmuch if it is unavailable, but it seems uncompetitive if they actively block non-Telecom users from accessing it (after giving appropriate usage warnings of course). Many other ISPs can opt to zero-rate certain sites (and probably would, as otherwise they'd lose out competitively). It would also be a marketing blunder for Tivo as they would be providing a disincentive for non-Telecom customers (and of course Tivo's marketing arm have never made any mistakes in the past, have they? )

I still have a vague hope that 'will not be able to access' on the website is marketing speak for 'will not be able to effectively access as it wont be zero-rated', and it will still work. I'd be interested in getting definite feedback from new NZ Tivo users with different ISPs as to how well it all works for general reference.

I've waited 6 years since leaving my Tivo in the UK to get a working Tivo here. I don't want it being crippled by anti-competitive practices on the part of Telecom.

(on a separate note, mr moderator, can we split this single monolithic thread up into separate issues?)

Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
    I've waited 6 years since leaving my Tivo in the UK to get a working Tivo here.
    You do realise that these forums are mainly dedicated to people using US Series 1 and UK TiVos in Oz and NZ? I've had a TiVo for 5 years. If you are in Christchurch I'd be more than willing to help you to "get a working TiVo". I even have a spare one at the moment.

Edit: just saw your signature on the other thread - you're in Auckalnd

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Pity you didn't bring your UK Tivo with you

They work like a charm with a little work

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Pity you didn't bring your UK Tivo with you
    They work like a charm with a little work
    I donated it to my mum before leaving the UK as I thought it wouldn't be possible to get it working here... now, I have just inherited my father's Tivo, but decided not to ship it out here as NZ Tivo is on its way anyways; I can give it to my sister instead, and spread the tivoly goodness...

Thanks to Skolink for the offer of help, though. I know its possible, I just don't have the time to hack as I have 2 small kids (which is why I need a TiVo - so I can pause TV and actually watch something other than Bob the ^&*%! Builder for once...)
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand
    2x S3 TiVo HD 320GB (FreeView) - Orcon Internet
    1x S3 TiVo HD 320GB - Power supply reparied, see how I did it here
    UK S1 TiVo - Needs conversion to TivoNZ - For sale

Free HPN

In case anyone isn't signed up to the Telecom/TiVo New Zeland newsletter, you can get the HNP for free if you buy a TiVo before 24 January 2010 (once it launches Friday 6 Nov 2009).

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

CASPA and Genie

"Today, in a demonstration of the TiVo interface that the New Zealand market will see, Hybrid CEO Robbee Minicola showed off a few features that the company has not yet rolled out to its Australian customers."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...606142&ref=rss

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

And some video demonstrations of Tivo in action for NZ;

http://www.techday.co.nz/netguide/ne...stration/6954/
    US Philips HDR212 Series 1 Tivo, Cachecard with 512MB RAM, 320GB hard disk, OzTivo Image 1.6.2-20061109. Tivo rocks!
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
    (on a separate note, mr moderator, can we split this single monolithic thread up into separate issues?)
    This thread is is a bit hard to break up, but feel free to start new threads on different subjects.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!