Quote Originally Posted by geoffo View Post
Hi all,

Dang! Wish I'd seen this thread before I bought one of these from Just Deals (or should it be Unjust Deals). Paid $149 for it including delivery and it arrived yesterday. Looks OK, fairly clean although it is obviously second hand.

Darren's comments on the package contents are spot-on although my unit is in fact a PTV300 box, not the PTV100 as advertised-don't know what the difference is except there is an RJ 45 socket above the phoneline socket that doesn't appear in the photos on Ebay.

Geoff
Hi,

I just received my unit from JD. I am delighted with it...

I had no ecpectation that the modem would work and had a Turbonet card, drive mount kit, imaged hard drive and IR blaster ready to go into it as soon as it arrived. These things I bought locally from: http://www.tivodownunder.com/

I was also psyched to do a case mod and was delighted (but also a bit deflated) to find a RJ-45 connector already on the rear of the case. Exactly where I would have put it, above the defunct modem.

I had to crack the case a second time to check the internal patch lead, as I had a (ahem) slight network airgap problem during Guided setup, but apart from that, I am overjoyed at the ease of getting the unit set up.

I was even more impressed to find I could reprogram my TiVo remote to control the TV, so now it does everything except the dvd player. Yeah!!

After reading your article, I went back to check the RF Tuner and found that it seems to work fine, although I have chosen to use an external STB (analog reception here is not very good). So yes it seems to be a PAL unit.

I haven't figured out exactly which model, 100 or 300. How do I tell ?

So I would be prefectly happy to purchase another unit from those guys...

-Joe-B^)