Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tivo Time Problem

Tivo Time Problem

I keep having to run Touch /var/hack/timestamp and then force_index.tcl to get my tivo to work with season passes and tivo suggestions.

This is due to the log error that keeps coming back:
    Jul 28 20:58:12 (none) DbGc[165]: DbGc::HandleTriggerWhileIdle -- clock is warped -- re-marking in 300 seconds

Will running this command help and can i run it as a cron job if I put it in a script, which would bring me to the next question what type of script as im not a unix guru.

TiVo [p0] /hack/etc]# TZ=Pacific/Auckland rdate -vs 207.126.98.204
    Offset 43200 for timezone NZST, daylight saving is off
    Setting local time to Thu Jul 28 21:11:44 2005
    [TiVo [p0] /hack/etc]#

You could create a bourne shell script called "Set_NZ_Time.sh" that contains the following:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Stop time warp messages
    touch /var/timestamp

# Set the time to time server with appropriate timezone offset
    TZ=Pacific/Auckland /hack/bin/rdate -vs 207.126.98.204
    Once you have created the file, you will need to make it executable using the chmod command:
    Code:
    # chmod 755 Set_NZ_Time.sh
    The it is just a matter of adding a line to your /hack/etc/crontab file:
    Code:
    # Synchronise the time on Monday mornings
    17 01 * * 1 /hack/bin/Set_NZ_Time.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &

I guess its possible that the clock skew could be due to the small battery on the motherboard running low and needing replacement. Im pretty sure I spotted one last time I opened my tivo - not sure if there are any gotchas to worry about in replacing it on a tivo as opposed to on a normal pc but I imagine it is straight forward.

Which version of the image are you using?

If it a r1.4 version made before april 19 then there is a known bug.

Quote Originally Posted by From OzTiVo Twiki
    The clock is warped after GS and will not index properly.
    This issue has been fixed -- PetesTrash - 19 Apr 2005
    wrong ntpdate binary snuck on there > Ed

This may correct itself when it does its next daily call (I have been too impatient to wait that long).

You can correct this manually by telneting into your TiVo? and running the following commands:
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# touch /var/timestamp
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# /hack/bin/force_index.tcl

To correct this in older versions download ntpdate and replace the existing file in /bin
    The battery is unused while power is applied to the unit and replacing the battery is almost unheard of (and a pain to do).

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 59473 Mar 30 03:09 ntpdate
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 299512 May 24 03:37 ntpdate.orig

I setup my Tivo in June and looking at the bin directory on my Tivo it looks like it has the right one, I comparied the file size to the one in the link and it looks about right. (considering ntpdate.orig is massive in comparison)

Im going to put the script inplace as it will save me having to do it manually when it happens. Thanks Thomson.

That is odd behavior since you are using the correct ntpdate.

Thompsons' workaround should work for you, but I would recommend running it more than once a week as some TiVo's do tend to drift.

I would like to find the real reason though, as most people no longer have this issue since the replacement ntpdate was used.

Before using thompsons scripts could you post your otclient log after a daily call and also advise what datestamp is on /var/timestamp before and after the call.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    That is odd behavior since you are using the correct ntpdate.

Before using thompsons scripts could you post your otclient log after a daily call and also advise what datestamp is on /var/timestamp before and after the call.

Peter.
    I have had a look for /var/timestamp and it is missing, this is after a reboot as Ive been under the house running Cat5 and relocating the Sky arial to the wall cavity with a proper socket.

After running touch /var/timestamp a file of zero length appears, can I put some junk in the file like space or something to make it non zero in size, and will that stop it from dissappearing

-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 0 Aug 6 23:10 timestamp

I have attached the otclient log but cannot give you the before time as the timestamp file did not exist.

Cheers
    S.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by sadrake
    I have had a look for /var/timestamp and it is missing...After running touch /var/timestamp a file of zero length appears, can I put some junk in the file like space or something to make it non zero in size, and will that stop it from dissappearing
    Touching a file will just update the time it was last modified to the current time. If the named file does not exist, it will create a zero length file. In our case the file named 'timestamp' will always be zero length, as only the date is used for index checking.

Quote Originally Posted by sadrake Otclient file
    Aug 6 15:47:10 (none) comm[155]: Setting clock. Command = "/bin/ntpdate -b 127.0.0.1"
    Aug 6 15:47:10 (none) comm[155]: About to execute: /bin/ntpdate -b 127.0.0.1 2>&1
    Aug 6 15:47:12 (none) comm[155]: Command: /bin/ntpdate -b 127.0.0.1 2>&1, failed: 256
    For some reason your ntpdate is trying to get the date from your machine (127.0.0.1). I assume you are not running a timeserver.

The correct command on the r1.4 image should be something like '/bin/ntpdate -b 192.43.244.18 129.6.15.29 132.163.4.103'.

Have you modified some files ?

Peter.

Quite possibly when I was setting it up.

What is the syntax for the grep command for searching for "/bin/ntpdate -b 127.0.0.1 2>&1"

or what files are the likely candidates for this command?

I have a look tonight when I get home.

Check my quick summary at http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....hlight=ntpdate

To do a global grep use (assuming the tivo grep knows about -r)
    grep -rl ntpdate /*

otherwise
    find / -exec grep -l ntpdate {} \;