Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVR in works for Sky?

PVR in works for Sky?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...6a1864,00.html

Rupert Murdoch own INL which is merging with Sky TV.

Apparently the newspaper article specifically mentioned a set top box with PVR built in.

However, Rupert Murdoch argues: "I haven't heard anyone who has their own recorder who doesn't rave about them, and, what's more, surveys have shown those who have one watch 10 per cent more television."
    yeah.. dang he is half right there

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...6a1864,00.html

Rupert Murdoch own INL which is merging with Sky TV.

Apparently the newspaper article specifically mentioned a set top box with PVR built in.
    Yes, Russell Brown confirmed this on Mediawatch today.

Apparently its coming "soon" (next 12 months), will be based on the Sky+ service/product offered in the UK, which unfortunately, is nothing much at all to write home about, if the crappy ads I saw for it in the UK earlier this year and the comparisons that Tivo users in the UK make about it compared to a UK Tivo.

Seems like the dear old Sky subscriber will have to pay for the feature - probably by shelling out another $20 a month forever to Sky for a mediocre product, that uses the EPG thats already coming "for free". Man that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch
    I haven't heard anyone who has their own recorder who doesn't rave about them, and, what's more, surveys have shown those who have one watch 10 per cent more television.
    Yes, and they also watch about 100% less ads and 100% less of Station "self" promotions.

And all on a supposedly "pay" TV service, where ads (promos included) are supposed to be much less frequent than "regular" TV.

Yeah, Right.

Quote Originally Posted by number6
    Yes, Russell Brown confirmed this on Mediawatch today.

Apparently its coming "soon" (next 12 months), will be based on the Sky+ service/product offered in the UK, which unfortunately, is nothing much at all to write home about, if the crappy ads I saw for it in the UK earlier this year and the comparisons that Tivo users in the UK make about it compared to a UK Tivo.

Seems like the dear old Sky subscriber will have to pay for the feature - probably by shelling out another $20 a month forever to Sky for a mediocre product, that uses the EPG thats already coming "for free". Man that sucks.
    A follow up on this:

Saturdays NZ Herald has a story about this being offered by Sky "late next year".

To quote the relevant parts of the story:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nz_Herald
    SKY TV will release a digital video recorder next year that will see the standard Sky decoder transformed into a device capable of storing hours of programming.

The personal video recorder (PVR) will work with Sky's electronic programming guide, allowing recordings to be pre-set with the Sky remote control unit.

Sky will ride on the coat-tails of Australian pay TV operator Foxtel to release a similar type of PVR here.

Sky chief executive John Fellet said the device would add $200 to $250 to the cost of a typical Sky installation.

Sky says it will release its electronic programming guide to third-party PVR vendors "eventually".

TV viewers can already buy hard disk drive-based recorders for about $500, but their usefulness is limited without an integrated programming guide.

Sky would likely place an order for 25,000 PVRs towards the end of next year.
    Seems like Sky is trying to hold back the tide of PVRs by promising a solution "sometime soon".

Given the lead times of 25,000 PVRs early 2006 for "in your hands" for a Sky PVR modelled on the Foxtel unit sounds a bit like paying lip-service to the whole idea - especially when Sky previously announced similar intentions about 3 years ago.

The same goes their comments re: "releasing EPG data to third party-PVR makers (read Microsoft and others) 'eventually'".

I'm also curious tha there is only an additional installation cost mentioned. I would have thought there would have been an additional subscription fee. Maybe there will just be additional plan charges to support things like simultaineous multiple channels if the proposed STB has multiple tuners.

Ain't speculation wonderous thing.
    I'm happy with my TiVo for the mo.

Nice comparison of Sky+ vs. TiVo here and here.
    US Series 1 Philips TiVo
    nzTiVo-Philips-Installer.img
    200Gb HDD 8Mb Cache, Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital, Auckland
    Hacks: TyServer, Manual Record & TivoTitle, TiVoX 1.5

Thanks for posting those links! Couple of things caught my eye in particular, one was the rather ominous fact that Sky have the ability to disable fast-forwarding thru ads with the Sky+ pvr and the other was the issue with pay-per-view programs, you can only access the recording for 24 hours after paying for it and some events you can't record at all.. I wonder how many other DRM-type features will find their way into the boxes by the time they are actually available here? I suspect you'll always be better off with a 3rd-party PVR than one supplied by the broadcaster with a vested interest in controlling your viewing habits/options.

sky PVR

latest tone magazine has a article and apic of the new HD PVR decoder...
    ken

Reading the article, it makes one wonder about any additional costs over and above the additional "couple of hundred" installation mentioned.

eg. It's a dual channel receiver so are Sky going to let us receive and decode two channels at the same time for the same subscription fee where they currently charge addtional subscriptions for a second decoder in the house.

Still, dual tuner will be nice.