Quote Originally Posted by Phred View Post
Q1. S-Video is analogue so do they mean when the TiVo is tuned to an HD source the S-Video out is disabled? Meaning TiVo doesn’t “convert” HD streams to SD/analogue? But then see next.
All outputs work simultaneously on both SD and HD content. S-Video and Composite will output SD for both SD & HD channels.

Q2. Again Component out is analogue and there really isn’t “HD” analogue is there? So TiVo apparently does “convert” HD streams to analogue? Yes?
Component is analog, but that does not mean that it does not support HD. there is no conversion. HD is shown as HD.

Q3. Nothing-is-FreeView has, so far, only required triple speed FF be nobbled; yes? Anything else? Supposedly uploading video to the PC in a format that could be burnt to DVD would also be deemed a no no by Nothing-is-FreeView?
Right now the TiVo is a Freeview approved product. Freeview have not told the public what that means, apart from Ad skipping is not allowed. Fast forwarding at current TiVo speed is ok. TiVo has copy protection already, so if stations wanted to restrict the ability of shows to be transferred off the TiVo then this is possible. But not currently being done.

Q4. Think I would like to back-up my virgin drive before connecting to the Aus TiVo service and probably every so often given updates can happen at anytime and I basically don’t trust Nothing-is-FreeView.. Basically what TiVo (mfg, US model, etc) is being branded TiVoHD here in Australia so I know what to search for in the way of utilities?
If you mean hacks, then there is nothing you can do to the TiVoHD without first having the Prom chip replaced (breaks warranty).

Q5. I understand we get full service when we purchase TiVo here in Australia (as opposed to the US requiring a monthly subscription). But, has anyone built a slice server - done their own guide?
The EPG is quite good and first run options work well. I don't think anyone has bothered putting time into something that is not needed.

Q6. What speeds does the TiVo ethernet support – gigabit??
100mbs

Q7. The $99 HNP doesn’t allow recorded programs to be uploaded to the PC? Or are they just in a format that can’t be played except when put back on the TiVo? Is it likely that anyone will end up with a hack that would allow content to be burnt to a DVD?
You can only get HNP for $99 if you buy the TiVo from the online store, the other offer finished on the 30th of April for retail TiVo's.

If you do buy HNP it allows you to watch TiVo shows on your PC and there are ways of puting them on DVD's

Peter.