Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

Beta Testing

I you haven't already, you can now register to be a Beta tester here:
    Get it First: Test for TiVo

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Yeah registration has been open since March, you posted a link back in post #10.

I would have thought Alpha testing had already started.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

In march you could only register your interest in TiVoHD, a sort of 'keep me informed' type thing. Now there is an extra button beside that registration page, which takes you to much more in-depth testing related questions. Perhaps I just didn't see the extra button the first time..
    I'd say anyone on the forum would be excluded anyway because most of us are 'expert' users, and as was discussed back when Australia got TiVoHD, they want dumb people representative of the general populace.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Just create another account as a Joe average user. I know someone who got in with that method

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Telecom to sell TiVo boxes

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...ll-TiVo-boxes/

This can't be right
    -a telco exclusively selling TiVo?
    -$899 price?

I know where I'll be getting mine..across the ditch!

"Can I use a TiVo media device from Australia/USA?
    No, the TiVo media device has been specifically adapted for the New Zealand market.
    By December 2010, all of the current Australian TiVo devices will receive a software update that allows them to work in both countries."
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/mytivo
    Last edited by Skolink; 17-09-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add Telecom link

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Apart from pricing, it's good to see that at least they have teamed up with an ISP for free content from the beginning.

Movies are around 2Gb which is more than the monthly allowance for lot of people.

I wonder if you are going to be getting the same 160Gb drive as the current units have. There should be a higher capacity model released here before Christmas.

Peter.

I am not sure that was a good move for Tivo take-up here.

Imagine the potential Competition claims both from other ISPs claiming Telecom is abusing a dominant position and from the Retail chains for not being able to bring competition to the market.

Add into that the high percentage of the geek community who would be early adopters but may not be with Telecom for broadband and it is not a good look.

It would be interesting however to see if Telecom intends to "unbend" and also allow the zero data from the wholesale level of the business - that would also bring in the possibility that it's UBS customers such as Xnet may be able to offer free Tivo traffic - even if they cannot sell the box thenselves.

that really really sucks !!!!!

The pricing is interesting too:

$899 for the recorder and $920 for recorder plus wi fi. No mention of the Home Networking package pricing

So AUD699 = NZD856.80
    WiFi at Aus prices = NZD85.68

Add them together =NZD942.48
    So on published Aus Tivo prices we get a better deal here - but only if you take the bundle of Tivo plus WiFi adapter - and probably only on launch.

Reckon we might be suffering from the old "how much does it sell for in Aussie and add 5%"

I seem to recall people saying thay had purchased a TiVo from places including JB HiFi (and from Pete) for AU$600, which is only NZ$750 or less.
    Before December 2010 though we would need to find someone who can supply a NZ HDD image.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2