Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

If I was to hazard a guess... and it is purely a guess.... I wonder if TVNZ has seen the slow uptake of Freeview integration into recording devices and has seen an opportunity to get into that market leveraging existing EPG data already supplied to freeview boxes into Tivo for little upfront cost.

May also have the benefit or wrestling back some of the My Sky market.

What's the 'legal' position of our use of the TiVo operating software? I'd be fairly sure that if someone want it badly enough, there would be a case against us.......

If you own a Series 1 then you are entitled to use the TiVo software on it.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Confirmed ...

You are quite correct - this was confirmed via a query on the mytivo.co.nz website. So Series 1 keep rocking!
    Bit of a shame really - it would have been a killer box if it had AV inputs.

TVNZ suggested in the response they are open to a deal with Sky for broadcasting Sky content via Terrestrial digital .. but I don't see that happening somehow! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    The TiVoHD has no AV inputs, so cannot be used with a Sky or any other box - it can record only terrestrial digital broadcasts received via the UHF antenna - ie "FreeviewHD" channels only. The Sky EPG would be of no use on the TiVoHD.
    Perhaps Sky might start broadcasting a terrestrial digital signal, but I don't know if TiVoHD software is capable of decryption and subription to pay-TV channels.
    Our Seires 1 TiVo's probably won't become redundant for a long time.
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 1 x 250GB, NZ Emulator - Satellite (Sky Digital)

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    If you own a Series 1 then you are entitled to use the TiVo software on it.

Peter.
    Use... but not necessarily modify :-)

Just registered myself also. As MarkE says above, the new NZ TiVo service would be "newted" without Sky channels. Also Prime isn't a free view channel, and being owned by Sky, it would seem unlikely it will make it to the TiVo platform either. Naturally I hope I am wrong, and that these issues are being addressed as I post..

Australian TiVo's have had an interview made available for Download, in it they say that the TiVo sold in Australia is the same as the one which will be available in NZ, and that someone in Australia can take their TiVo to NZ or V.V.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Price

I guess we know how much they will cost then! If they are any cheaper in either country then thats where people will buy them (me included).

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

tivo.co.nz

I see they finally got their domain from the squatter.
    http://www.coolwhois.com/d/tivo.co.nz

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Sky terrestrial

As you know Sky is shutting down its UHF service: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...583747&ref=rss
    This little excerpt caught my attention:
    "Sky plans to hand its UHF and radio spectrum back to the Government and trade them for digital terrestrial bandwidth"
    Another hint that just maybe we might get Sky on the TiVoHD.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2