Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Daily call failing since moving ISP's to Optus

Ok, lets try

chmod 777 /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey
    ls -l /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey

And take a note of the results.

Now we will try fixing the file system first with this command.

fsfix

It will take a while to run. Again take a note of any errors, and reboot when finished then try a daily call.

We will come back to mfscheck next.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

As fsfix finishes and I guess it was happening with mfscheck -fix as well, the tivo seems to hang until it is rebooted. And then when I try to do a daily call the tivo automatically reboots and the daily call fails.

Here is what was telnetted.

[TiVo [p0] ~]# chmod 777 /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# ls -l /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 12 Oct 22 19:20 /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# fsfix
    Couldn't CreateSharedMemoryFile() /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey -- check permissions
    Error in FsInit: 0x11001

Ok, that is just weird.

I'll put my hands up now, and accept defeat.

Go ahead and re-image as you offered a few days ago.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I have to wait till friday, I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

Actually since you are waiting till Friday, you could try this:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# chmod 777 /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# rm /var/tmp//fsmem.mpkey
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# fsfix

Peter

Hi peter

the last commands you sent were no different so today I re-imaged both Tivo's.

Everything went well, re-imaging with 1.6.2-20080604 was successful. Then I went to do the guided setup and everything worked. It managed to make all the necessary calls. Then when I had to wait for the 4-8 hours I went and did the guided setup for my other tivo.

Everything also went perfectly (a first for me) but I guess I got too excited and right after the guided setup the tivo just reset itself.

Then when it reloads it froze on the Boot PROM screen. So I decided to leave it for a while but nothing happened. I then rebooted the tivo and when it started again it froze on the Maintenance Mode screen and every time I reboot it gets stuck in this position.

By now the first tivo has completed indexing so I reboot it to get out of maintenance mode and when it starts up it gets stuck on the Boot PROM screen. No amount of rebooting changes things.

I then did a bit of reading on other threads and I didn't like what I saw. I think there were three possible problems

1) Plugs not in place properly.

I checked this and still no improvement.

2) Tivo image corrupted or not installed properly.

No real biggy, I'm going to try and do it all over tomorrow.

3) HDD dead.

This one upset me cause the second tivo (the one which had the problem first) has a new seagate 254(?)GB drive. It shouldn't be dead.

Anyway I thought you might be interested to know how I'm going. I guess on the bright side the problem of not being able to do a daily call seems to be fixed by the re-imaging.

Quote Originally Posted by eden View Post
    3) HDD dead.
    This is the most likely cause. Freezing at various points and/or not getting past the PROM boot screen is a sure sign of hard disk problems.

This one upset me cause the second tivo (the one which had the problem first) has a new seagate 254(?)GB drive. It shouldn't be dead.
    There's no such thing as "shouldn't" as I've had a few that give up soon after purchase. It happens sometimes, and in no way unusual or limited to just Seagate hard disks. I would not be too upset because if it is a new hard disk then just follow the procedures on the Seagate website to get a warranty replacement as it will have a 5 year replacement warranty. The Seagate website will show you what you need to do to initiate a return and even allow you to print out the necessary paperwork and shipping labels.

Might also be a good idea while you are there to grab a copy of Seatools (get the CD bootable version) and check both your hard disks with this. Seatools will work even with old and/or non-Seagate hard disks fine.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I agree with Darren, the only reason TiVo gets stuck on a boot screen is the hard drive is not being recognised or corrupt.

Follow Darrens advise about testing with Seatools.

Peter.

Well I tested both HDD. The new one passed the short DST test so I re-imaged and have just finished the guided setup and everything seems ok, for now at least.

The old HDD failed the short DST test almost immediately. There was no reason given for the failure however Seatools did suggest I try the long test. I figured this HDD is quite old now hasn't been working properly recently and the short test failed that most likely so too will the long test.

I think it's out of warranty as it's the HDD that came with my Tivo and that is already a few years old that I'll just have to go buy a new one.

Thank you Peter and Darren for all your help.

Good news, hopefully your problems are now solved.

Peter.