Hi All,
This is my first post as I found the forum by searching for first impressions on the Aust. TiVo.
Like a lot of people here, I went into H/N the day after they got stock and bought one on the spot.
First impressions were pretty bad. Less than 24hrs after getting it home and loading all my wishlists, scheduling programs, etc. I was watching AFL last Saturday and the screen froze!
To cut a long story short, I couldn't get it going again, despite calling H/N and going through the power off/on routine (incidentally, is there any way to put the thing in stanby overnight or does it just stay on?).
Anyway, down to H/N on Monday and they checked out the faulty unit, swapped it over without any hassle which I was quite impressed with as I expected some sort of drama. They said they had sold 10-15 units already and mine was the first faulty one.
Now I have another unit home and it's lasted longer than 22hrs, I find it is good except that I can see it's going to take time to help it learn my preferences.
The other, not disabling, but damn annoying thing is that every now and then (seems to be when recording is going), when I try to look at something on the now playing list, there is no sound! Sometimes going through a menu driven restart will fix this, other times pressing the TiVo button and starting again will fix it (but you can't always do that when you have recordings taking place!).
As I say, it's not totally disabling, but it is damn annoying especially with all the testing they did here before launch and the fact that this technology has been in use in the U.S. for nearly ten years one would have thought they had all the bugs ironed out?
Other than that, I'm happy, look forward to what the system will have to offer down the track, I don't mind paying a few dollars for the upgrade later in the year, as long as they get the minor bugs out of the software.
Cheers.