Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding memory to cache card

And what did it say about your style of ram?

Also what version Cachecard are you using? Before V2.2 cards are even less compatible.
    Last edited by petestrash; 18-05-2008 at 09:48 PM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

You might also want to try logging a fault ticket with silicon dust. Include your kernel log messages.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    And what did it say about your style of ram?
    It says:

Cachecard compatibility
    The cachecard supports both 32Mx8 and 64Mx4 based DIMMs.
    All 32Mx8 based DIMMs will work.
    All 64Mx4 based DIMMs the follow the JEDEC standard for DQM wiring will work (99% of 64Mx4 based DIMMs).

The two sets of RAM I was given appear to comply with this so I can only assume that they are faulty. I'm taking them back today.

Also what version Cachecard are you using? Before V2.2 cards are even less compatible.
    I have v2.2

They used to maintain a list of known sticks that did not work, but this seems to have disappeared from the site.

It's unlikely you have 2 faulty sticks, try opening a ticket first.

Peter.

They used to maintain a list of known sticks that did not work, but this seems to have disappeared from the site.

It's unlikely you have 2 faulty sticks, try opening a ticket first.

Peter.
    I could only find some very generic info in the FAQ and what I posted before was from their forum. They referred to JEDEC information that they had but I can't access that site to get the info.

I've logged a case but the ticket system has no reference to CacheCard in any category - do they still support it?

A lot of the Support info that used to be there is not on the new site. They have even purged selected posts.

The FAQ on 9th tee is basically the same as years ago, with promises of more answer to come, but they never did.

The cachecard is still sold by 9th tee and your are still supposed to contact silicon dust for support. But I think Jaffa is more interested in HDhomerun these days.

I know when I got my first V1.2 Cachecard I had to try a few different sticks before I found one that worked. Most of these issues should have been resolved by v2.2.

Unforurtunately I don't really have much else to offer. As pjpete said, make sure that the card is fully seated. It can seem it is fully seated, but can actually go further.

As well as cutting the pin for the foot, I also untwist the board supports so it can be lifted when inserting the card.

Peter

Hi,

I did get a response from support. This is what they said:

"The log indicates that the DIMM does not support CL2 operation.

Usually CL2 vs CL3 does not matter as DIMMs that say CL3 still support CL2, just not at 133MHz. The Tivo FSB is slower so running a CL3 rated DIMM in CL2 mode is not an issue.

It is rare but some CL3 DIMMs do not support CL2 operation at all. This is the problem you are seeing here."

I'll talk to the person who supplied the RAM and try and get some CL3 from him.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm glad you received a sensible response.

Hopefully you can sort it out with your supplier.

To clarify Jaffa's response, you currently have CL3 (slower) which does not support CL2 (Faster) even at TiVo's slow 27mhz.

You need either:
    1. Any PC66/100/133 CL2 which supports a 27mhz Front Side Bus
    2. Any PC133 CL3 that supports CL2 at a Front Side Bus Speed of 27mhz

Peter.