Thread: Bufferhack confusion

Bufferhack confusion

I am having a bit of trouble sorting out the right way to install "Buffehack". I am reading conflicting methods of how to go about it. If I use the wiki info at http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...easeLiveBuffer with the newer bufferhack zip file from DealDatabase. It has a different extension .itcl instead of .tcl.

I am also confused about where to put the file. The text file in the zip says to stick it in the modules dir in tivoweplus and the wiki says to put in /var/hack/bin/. I don't need to have access to bufferhack from tivowebplus because once I run it I don't think I'll need to run it again.

From the wiki instructions if the file is not a symbolic link then I assume that I can follow them?

ls -al /tvbin/tivoapp gives me:
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 0 0 6575372 May 30 2002 /tvbin/tivoapp

Is this ok?

If you wish to adjust the buffer size from telnet, use the 'bufferhack32a.tcl' script and follow the OzTivo wiki guide.

If you wish to be able to control the buffer size via TiVoWeb, you need to have Hackman installed and copy the 'bufferhack.itcl' file into your TiVoWeb 'modules' directory.

Quote Originally Posted by daggo
    From the wiki instructions if the file is not a symbolic link then I assume that I can follow them?

ls -al /tvbin/tivoapp gives me:
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 0 0 6575372 May 30 2002 /tvbin/tivoapp

Is this ok?
    You are correct in that this is not a symbolic link, so if you have telnet access to your TiVo you just require the (commandline) bufferhack32a.tcl file. Transfer this file to your TiVo and run the following:

Code:
    [/var/hack/bin]# dos2unix bufferhack32a.tcl
    [/var/hack/bin]# chmod 755 bufferhack32a.tcl
    [/var/hack/bin]# ./bufferhack32a.tcl 90