Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling Tivo over the net

Scheduling Tivo over the net

I searched all the FAQs and this forum and I can find how to access the tivo remotely via the internet. I currently have my tivo plugged into a wireless router and have an IP assigned to it. I can access tivoweb and receive updates with no porblems. Now my ISP provides me with a dynamic dns, how do I deal with this? I have an account with no-ip.com but usually there is a client running on your windows pc. Is there an app for the tivo and how do I find the tivo's current external ip?

Most routers these days support no-ip or dyndns, so the client run's there instead of on your PC.

Load the latest TiVoWebPlus onto your TiVo which has basic password security.

This is the easist, but not very secure method of connecting from the outside.

Other more secure options are discussed in PasswordProtectedRemoteAccess.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I used the instructions on:
    http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivo...ki.net/83.html

It was pretty easy. You need another PC running on your home network, which you run the reverse proxy server from. Also, Orenosp is now expensive shareware. If you need an earlier freeware version you can find it at DealDatabase on this thread http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...hlight=orenosp
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

Justin if you follow the setup as indicated here you don't need another PC http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...edRemoteAccess

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    Load the latest TiVoWebPlus onto your TiVo which has basic password security.
    It's not too bad... you can also now limit client access which is handy if you just wish to access the TivoWeb from your workplace. It is possible to get TivoWeb to also support Digest Authentication so that somebody sniffing the traffic would have a harder time determining the password. It's not that hard to implement (just needs an MD5 TCL library - which I already have), in fact I half implemented it before deciding that Basic Authentication with a host access list is probably enough for most people. If I get bored I may look at adding it as an optional plug-in module

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    Other more secure options are discussed in PasswordProtectedRemoteAccess.
    Actually I just read that wiki entry and it's configuring Apache to only use Basic Authentication anyway
    Last edited by thomson; 26-06-2006 at 05:10 PM.

so apache is used to gain access to tivoweb or is it just for secuirty? I am not a linux guru so my understanding is limited at the moment
    TiVo Series one unit w/200Gb Spinpoint, Turbonet, Teac DV-B350 FTA STB
    TiVo Series one unit w/300Gb Spinpoint, Terbonet (soon), PAL Mod and Teac DV-B420 FTA STB

Quote Originally Posted by razza
    Justin if you follow the setup as indicated here you don't need another PC http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...edRemoteAccess
    razza,
    unless I am mistaken (which I frequently am), the instructions are not dissimiliar to what I have linked to. Arn't you just running Apache on the PC instead of Orenosp? I mean, all orenosp is doing is running as a reverse proxy server with decent security (so I have read).
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

Heck of a lot easier to setup if you are on broadband with a static IP.

Both my Tivos have a hole punched in my router for them (ports) and password protection on tivoweb. I can access both from anywhere with internet access just by entering my IP at home and the appropriate port number.

I haven't bothered with remote telnet access.. probably a bit safer to not have that available remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinD
    razza,
    unless I am mistaken (which I frequently am), the instructions are not dissimiliar to what I have linked to. Arn't you just running Apache on the PC instead of Orenosp? I mean, all orenosp is doing is running as a reverse proxy server with decent security (so I have read).
    Justin sorry I guess that's my lack of understanding. I was reading it as if apache was running on the tivo...obviously it is not
    So is there anyway to access the tivo via the net with a dynamic IP without having another PC running some sort of web server?
    TiVo Series one unit w/200Gb Spinpoint, Turbonet, Teac DV-B350 FTA STB
    TiVo Series one unit w/300Gb Spinpoint, Terbonet (soon), PAL Mod and Teac DV-B420 FTA STB

Quote Originally Posted by razza
    So is there anyway to access the tivo via the net with a dynamic IP without having another PC running some sort of web server?
    Easy! Zollymonsta has already hinted how this is done.

1. Get a dynamic IP account (I use www.no-ip.com)
    2. Set TiVoWEB to be on a port other than 80 and your desired username/password. This is in a config file.
    3. In your router, port forward your TiVoWEB port you set (above) and if required the IP address your TiVo uses.
    4. Point your web browser to your dynamic IP account, eg: http://yourname.no-ip.com:199/ (where "yourname.no-ip.com" is your dynamic IP account and ":199" is whatever your TiVoWEB port number is.

If you have done it right you will be greeted with a popup window asking for your username and password.

Just be aware this may not work from within your network. It does not for me but works fine from outside (ie the Internet). If you want local connection from witin your network simply point your web browser to your TiVo's IP address with the ":<portnumber>" added to the end.

Also be aware to set each of your TiVo to a different port number so you can access different units. And also remember that as per your signature when you eventually get that second one fitted with a network card to ensure you set a different MAC address otherwise weird things will happen like intermittent guide data downloading and so on.
    Last edited by Darren King; 27-06-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!