Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBS Audio Squeak Problem

Audio Problem has now spread to all ABC channels it seems, it even takes out the picture on a couple of them - no more bluey season pass, or many of our other favourite shows

Is anyone working some way to pre-set the auto track on a per channel basis - or remember the last setting? Sadly I'm a hardware guy, not software....so not much use at fixing it, though happy to fire up the SA production line again if the patch has to be manually installed.

Quote Originally Posted by samstain View Post
    Audio Problem has now spread to all ABC channels it seems, it even takes out the picture on a couple of them - no more bluey season pass, or many of our other favourite shows

Is anyone working some way to pre-set the auto track on a per channel basis - or remember the last setting? Sadly I'm a hardware guy, not software....so not much use at fixing it, though happy to fire up the SA production line again if the patch has to be manually installed.
    Last night the 7 pm ABC news was recorded with a picture and no sound, and other ABC HD channels (like channel 20) had the same problem, but the non-HD channels (like channel 2) did not. We assumed that this was a transmission problem in Sydney. Did the problem affect only TiVo users?

Yes, that's the problem. Is anyone trying to update AusTiVo so that Language is set automatically to MPEG-1 rather than Unknown?

G'day edcba and samstain. Same here in Perth. I was going to reboot the Tivo this morning. Have lost all sound in my ABC 20 recordings after Tuesday this week. I hope we can get someone to set the

audio to mpeg-1, by default.

ABC 2 works ok, so will have to watch this until we get a fix.

Further to this:

My recordings of ABC 20 are silent from Wednesday morning, before that they play from Tivo to TV with audio.

I have downloaded last night's 7:30(which is silent to TV with no option to change audio) to Tivo Desktop. Luckily the audio plays from the download on PC.

So, it seems we have limited use of ABC HD channels due to audio problem and the audio is not great on SBS HD channels(though when uploaded to Tivo Desktop the audio is ok on PC).

I hope we can get the technical team to change the audio default to mpeg-1.
    Last edited by cpab; 10-12-2020 at 02:05 PM.

I did start to look at this when the problem was first reported on SBS. I couldn't find a simple solution. Since the problem is now more widespread, I will try to take another look.

Seems this is to do with ABC HD and SBS HD tweeks of audio streams for additional info for visually impaired people. The Tivo doesn't seem to handle these new narrow bandwidth mp4 video and audio streams too well and sometimes it feels like it is only just managing. ABC HD changed their audio stream on Wednesday this week and now audio is silent, unless "Info" is selected and "Audio" - "mpeg-1" is selected; any recordings are silent when played back through TV, with no option in "Info" to change audio, but if uploaded to Tivo Desktop, the audio plays ok on PC. Wondering if Tivo default audio can be set as mpeg-1 or if there is any other solution.

Thanks Matt, this problem is starting to turn our units into boat anchors. I fear we will get an exodus of users on the platform unless we can come up with a solution. Good luck.

Matt, we'd be grateful if you could provide updates on your progress. Does Fetch have this problem? Have TiVo had this problem in the US?

Thanks for this thread at least it confirms its not just my TIVO going bust. We've put up with the SBS squeak by using alternative channels but the loss of audio from ABC and new screech on the ABC channels is cutting into our enjoyment. last night I did a total wipe and reset of the TIVO and I notice today that I'm seeing subtitles (closed captions) printing on HD ABC channels. Regular ABC (channel 2) working OK as confirmed by other posters here. Will read up and follow other advice re mpeg-1
    Last edited by grubs; 13-12-2020 at 11:33 AM.

I have made some progress on this. I now have a script that can fix the audio when watching LiveTV. However fixing the audio as programs are recorded is proving more difficult.