Thread: Remote Speed

Remote Speed

hey guys
    been ages since i last posted!

i just have a question...

well for the past few weeks i havent been using my tivo coz my family keeps complaining that it changes the channel too slow.
    they use the original foxtel remote coz they dont know how to use the tivo one (i know its way easy but there kinda slow)
    and i takes like 5 seconds to change channel with the tivo or fox remote.

i was just wondering if there is any way to speed this up...coz if it stays this slow ill have to move it down to my room with only digital box and not foxtel.

if anyone can help me out it would be really great!

thanks
    NKG

Quote Originally Posted by normal_kinda_guy View Post
    i was just wondering if there is any way to speed this up...coz if it stays this slow ill have to move it down to my room with only digital box and not foxtel.
    Yes, it's possible to speed up the channel changing. There are three settings to look at:
    1. Make sure your IR codes contain an Enter Key listing and that "Cable Box Enter Key" is set to "Yes"
    2. Prevent the TiVo from sending any leading 0's when changing channels, done by setting the "Cable Box Channels" to 1
    3. Lower the TunerDigitDelay to decrease the time between IR button codes sent

The above are all explained in more detail in the "Tivo channel changing" thread. The settings shown there are for the South African DSTV stb, the stb is made by UEC and is the same stb as the Foxtel STU720. The enter key is added to IR Code 30011 (i.e. Foxtel STU720 V2) but it can be added to any of the Foxtel STU720 or UEC stb's. If you're not using a UEC made device, check that your IR codeset has the enter key and if not you'll need to use a different code or learn the enter/ok button IR code and add it to the IR codeset.

Talking

Ye gads how dare they hate TiVO in preferance to channel surfing.

For my WAF I told her to press the "Live TV" button and then go down the program guide list to see what she wants to watch and press select. Now she dosn't care how long it takes because she knows what she is going to watch. So no more surfing.

You need to record more shows and maybe turn on the "suggesstions" so there are heaps of shows to watch as well.

Kill the surfing! Long live TiVO

Oh I also hid the pay remote so the kids don't have choice.

lol i hid the foxtel remote for a while but everyone went crazy =P

i have the Foxtel PACE DC420NF...but im using the Foxtel PACE DS420NF IR codes coz they work the same yeah?

ill try the suggestions above =)

thanks guys!

oooo something extra...

was just wanting to set up tivo so that it can adjust my stb volume...whas the best guide to use?
    and is there anyway to get the fox digital banner poping up each time i change channels? it annoys me having 2 banners...but if it cant be turned off thats okay =D
    thanks
    NKG

JUST A QUICK UPDATE GUYS!!!

the help tivoza gave was just what i needed...now the channel change is way fast...back to normal speed on fox remote so fam wont get angry =P
    but sometimes channels like 100, 110, 401, 411 dont work...any ideas?

sometimes channels like 100, 110, 401, 411 dont work...any ideas?
    What happens when they are selected? Of the 3 suggestion I listed above which ones are you using?

It might also be worth changing the IR code speed (i.e. Fast, Medium, Slow), either faster or slower depending on the problem.

when i select those channels it misses out on the last number...but with like 110 fox comes up with 10- meaning it has a missing number
    of the three suggestions u gave i have applied all of them.
    is there anyway i can change ir speed through computer?

is there anyway i can change ir speed through computer?
    The IR code speed sets the TunerDigitDelay value. From what I recall the settings are as follows:
    • Fast: 150
    • Medium: 350
    • Slow: 800

The "Tivo channel changing" thread explains how to set the TunerDigitDelay value from telnet. There is no need to stick to the fast, medium or slow values, rather play around until you find a value that changes the channels quick enough without causing problems.