Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nz Tivo!!

Thanks again.

Have tried both Satellite and Cable and no joy. It fails consistently (ie with all variations of Source, Zip Code, Area Code that I have tried) after about 17 minutes. The top item on the screen goes through "1-2 minutes", "Preparing to call . . .", "Dialling . . .", and then sits on "Connecting . . ." for 16 minutes, before failing with "Failed. Service Unavailable." It never gets past that point.

Time to try a reiimage I think.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Stott View Post
    and then sits on "Connecting . . ." for 16 minutes, before failing with "Failed. Service Unavailable." It never gets past that point.
    In that case your problem has nothing to do with the postcode etc you have selected, the problem lies with tivo not being able to connect to the internet (well, specifically the emulator)

I know the thread has moved on a bit since I mentioned it but my TiVo has sold now.

Wanted - Damn, I'd forgotten that you had one for sale. Would have contacted you since I now understand that's the only way I'll get twin tuners.

Catdog - I agree and it's not cable issues as the router shows it connecting OK and I can access it via a browser.

More importantly, I've just learned more about accessing it via ftp software and have cruised the disk and found the file Wibble was talking about, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author. Can't understand why I didn't find it the first time. Finger trouble perhaps. However, here it is. I note that there is NO line starting with emuProxy2, so that may be the problem.

#### START HACKS ####

export MY_SERVER=10.0.0.1
    export NFS_SERVER=$MY_SERVER
    export SMB_SERVER=$MY_SERVER
    #export TIME_SERVER=$MY_SERVER

#### Mount Network Shares #######

# mount NFS shares (if you have them) Change the NFS_SERVER variable above to t$
    #insmod -f /lib/modules/nfs.o
    #mount -t nfs -o rsize=8192,wsize=8192 ${NFS_SERVER}:/home/tivo /hack/nfs

# Mount shares on your windows boxen.
    # This doesn't work too well.
    # insmod -f /lib/modules/smbfs.o
    # smbmount //${SMB_SERVER}/SHARE /hack/smb -s putrename -c tivo -I x.x.x.x -U u$

#### Start Programs ######

#Start dumb ntp daemon up for time syncs - Not necessary in most cases any more
    # Not certain if this works in 3.0
    #dumbntpd &

# CRON # Edit /hack/etc/crontab
    cron &

#Start FTP daemon
    tivoftpd &

# Start TiVoWeb
    /hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb &

# Vserver - Stream ty files on port 8074 see tivo-mplayer.sf.net
    vserver > /dev/null 2>&1 &

# Start BASH on serial
    shondss.sh &

# EndPad
    # If you want to edit the start and end, do so in /hack/bin/runendpad.sh
    /var/hack/endpadplus.tcl 5 10 -auto

##### Various Other Hacks #######

# Keep Guided Setup from bothering us
    # Actually, we want GS to bother us...so comment it out
    #fixup30.tcl
    #fixup25.tcl

# Tweak HDD settings
    # Don't worry if you don't have a two drive TiVo. It will work for 1 drive setu$
    hdparm -c1 -m8 -M1 -S0 /dev/hda /dev/hdb
    hdparm -m16 /dev/hda /dev/hdb
    Last edited by David Stott; 10-09-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Assuming you want to continue using the existing setup (as opposed to reimaging the drive from scratch), can you post the contents of your tclient.conf file here. As you are not currently running emuProxy it should contain the line
    127::210.48.107.133:8000:::

(note, no # symbol in front of it!)

Off list we have confirmed the only listed NZ applicable / available post code / zones in postcodezones is 00800 Pacific/Auckland.
    To my understanding if a zone is not listed in postcodezones then it will not be available to make a match - and use.
    It seems to me that a new reference needs to be added, however I am not sure which would be the relevant one for David for STB FreeView?
    Can someone please clarify if this is relevant for David's problem?
    David Hingston, Wellington, NZ
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Samsung 300G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 2.1 beta

Catdog - Yes, that's what is in there. I noted the alternative 127 sentence that Wibble gave at the beginning of this:

"In /etc/tclient.conf you should have
    # This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy. Thanks Tim!
    127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author you should have
    emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &"

I have tried using his line a) instead of the standard one, and b) as well as the standard one. The good news in the former case was that the connection failed within 6 seconds instead of 16 minutes :-) I put his emuProxy line into rc.sysinit.author at the end of the file. I don't know if order is important in these files or not (the last programming language I learned was Cobol!!).

I've been trying two different pieces of software to access/copy files, SmartFTP and WinSCP. The former can see files but not copy them (probably something I'm doing wrong), and the latter can see and copy files from my Topfield but can't see the TiVo at all. So I'm not currently able to attach the tclient file here. But here is, I hope, the relevant extract using Putty and Pico:

# This is the default port, it's values come from Addr.itcl not here
    #
    000:
    # Dennis' Emulator
    #126::66.23.218.193:8000:::
    # This is for the server emulator on minnie.
    #127::66.92.222.38:8000:::
    #127::64.151.65.200:8000:::
    127::210.48.107.133:8000:::
    #127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

Note that here both 127 lines are "live" but I have tried all four combinations of hashing each out or not.

David
    Last edited by David Stott; 10-09-2008 at 03:01 PM.

David - Here as you suggested is my postcodezones file:

# A list of TiVo postcodes and the timezones that they represent
    # Two columns, separated by one tab only.
    #
    00800 Pacific/Auckland
    02000 Australia/Sydney
    02600 Australia/Sydney
    03000 Australia/Melbourne
    04000 Australia/Brisbane
    05000 Australia/Adelaide
    06000 Australia/Perth
    07000 Australia/Hobart

Note though that this has been the same for the five years I've been happily running the TiVo. Note also that I've tried to GS using 00800 and that had no affect on the outcome.

David

David
    I suggest adding in at least the 02110 code from http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912 As I understand it there is no point trying a code not saved in this file. This is on the basis of using a satellite Freeview STB, which one are you using?
    As has been suggested there may be other issues, which re-imaging may or may not resolve.
    Can you ping 210.48.107.133 from within a putty session?
    David Hingston, Wellington, NZ
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Samsung 300G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 2.1 beta

Quote Originally Posted by David Stott View Post
    "In /etc/tclient.conf you should have

In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author you should have
    emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &"

I have tried using his line a) instead of the standard one, and b) as well as the standard one. The good news in the former case was that the connection failed within 6 seconds instead of 16 minutes :-) I put his emuProxy line into rc.sysinit.author at the end of the file. I don't know if order is important in these files or not
    Did you reboot the Tivo after adding the emuProxy line? rc.sysinit.author runs once when Tivo starts up, so you'll have to reboot for it to take affect. It doesn't matter where in that file you add the line. Can you also confirm that emuProxy2 is on your Tivo and actually running once you have rebooted (the command "ps aux" will show a list of processes that are running).

It is probably worth posting the contents of /var/log/tclient here after your 6 second failed attempt ( ie using 127::210.48.107.133:8000::: ), hopefully it will show where the problem is. The 15 minute attempt will be just timing out, so is probably not very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by TimesOwn View Post
    Off list we have confirmed the only listed NZ applicable / available post code / zones in postcodezones is 00800 Pacific/Auckland.
    To my understanding if a zone is not listed in postcodezones then it will not be available to make a match - and use.
    It seems to me that a new reference needs to be added, however I am not sure which would be the relevant one for David for STB FreeView?
    Can someone please clarify if this is relevant for David's problem?
    This will cause the clock to be wrong after guided setup is complete, but is not related to the current issue (best to sort one problem at a time!).
    Last edited by catdog; 11-09-2008 at 04:44 PM.