Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End Of Life for NZ guide data server

Exclamation End Of Life for NZ guide data server

Hi Everybody, I'm afraid it's the end of the road for Orac, it' will be decommissioned as the end of February.

There are currently six S1 Tivo's pulling data from it.

It's running a 15 year old linux on a AMD Sempron 2400 with 1Gb ram and 2x 60Gb disks. I'm frankly surprised it's survived that long.
    So it's bin territory.

So you want want to keep getting guide data, it's time to look for alternate sources, I'm afraid.

PS: I personally stopped using an S1 Tivo years ago. :-)

I am two of the six so who are the other 4?
    Whilst I will be sad to see it go the end was inevitable.

Many, many thanks to Wibble and all of the others that have made the S1 TiVos the success they have been.
    The S1 guide has recently even been more reliable than the HDTiVo indicating that sources may well be more secure. Maybe this could be of use to the HD guide.

P.S. Is there any interest in giving ORAC a new home?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    P.S. Is there any interest in giving ORAC a new home?
    We'll you're welcome to the hardware, but it's 15 years old and realistically, I expect it to die at any time. If anybody want to setup another emulator and use the settings and database, I can make backups available.
    Also you need a really stable ip address you can use to host it on.

I have 2 running as well. Still the best system there is in my view, so easy to use.

Any suggestions on how to get the guide data other ways? Else will convert to a video storage system which it also does quite well for those favourite videos.

Sad day but 20 years of service is not bad nowadays when most things become obsolete in a few weeks!
    TiVo series 1 UK Thomson, Cachecard, 500GB, Sky Digital
    TiVo series 1 USA Philips, Turbonet, 230GB, Freeview Dish TV

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I have 2 running as well. Still the best system there is in my view, so easy to use.

Any suggestions on how to get the guide data other ways? Else will convert to a video storage system which it also does quite well for those favourite videos.

Sad day but 20 years of service is not bad nowadays when most things become obsolete in a few weeks!
    Ray,

Have you got in touch with Islander? I think he was looking to give Orac a new home.
    I have a copy/snapshot of files from orac on www.oztivo.net but I haven't really looked into how much effort it would be to get NZ S1 going on www.oztivo.net (after I heard Islander's intention).

He was looking to get the server I believe - not sure what he is up to. Assume it will be dead sadly.

I have picked up ORAC . It should be easily run locally but as I don't have a fixed IP not easy for remote data downloads.. I am open to any suggestions for hosting if possible.
    Hardware wise Orac is old and may have a limited life.
    Sorry I can't be of more help at present.

OK - Here is a suggestion, perhaps my idea is a bit simplistic as this is not my field of expertise.

Orac is a server originally designed to service 200+ TiVo's in the good old days from a fixed IP address. Now to get a fixed IP address you plan to run on your own LAN to service 1 or 2. For this low number of users surely a simple desktop computer is also adequate? Currently "5 year old linux on a AMD Sempron 2400 with 1Gb ram and 2x 60Gb disks".

So cannot Orac be cloned to another desktop so can be used on our own LAN's? Only needs to run occasionally so we can get our EPG's.

Yes that is my thought as well.
    At present I am working on getting Orac working on my network. My thinking is that it could be coaxed onto another more modern machine and run locally by those that need it.
    Once I have it running I may be able to set a temporary address that you can extract guide data from.

Thanks for that - Good luck