Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

TVNZ has confirmed it is entering an $A8 million deal with TiVo

This in the NBR site today.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/tvnz-co...ivo-deal-92585

Thursday March 26 2009 - 03:52pm

TVNZ has confirmed it is entering an $A8 million deal with TiVo, the maker of a MySky-style set-top box. A TiVo service, including pay-per-view, ondemand TV and video delivered via broadband, will go live before Christmas. But MediaWorks isn't yet onboard, and TVNZ has yet to find an ISP partner.

TVNZ Chief Executive Rick Ellis confirms that his company has bought a one-third share in Hybrid TV, the vehicle set up by the Seven network in Australia, which up until now has held the exclusive TiVo license for Australia and New Zealand.

The deal involves $A8 million ($NZ9.8 million) in cash, plus an unspecified amount of air time ("There is no opportunity cost," TVNZ's CFO noted wryling at the TiVo announcment in Auckland this afternoon. "We have a lot of inventory".)

"This is not just about us bringing TiVo to New Zealand," says Mr Ellis. "This is about us participating in an Australasian business."

I'm excited about this

7. Does TiVo NZ work with the SKY service?

No, the TiVo unit is a digital terrestrial media device, but Hybrid Television Services is open to discussions with SKY about the provision of SKY content to the TiVo device.
    If they get the Sky HD Sport content I'm in!

The full press release from TiVo.

TiVo to Launch in New Zealand Later This Year

ALVISO, Calif., March 26, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- New Zealand's Largest Free-To-Air Broadcaster Partners with Seven Media Group's Hybrid TV to Offer TiVo in New Zealand
    TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services and advertising solutions for digital video recorders (DVRs), today announced that the TiVo service will launch in New Zealand later this year.
    Through an agreement with Seven Media Group in Australia, Television New Zealand (TVNZ), New Zealand's largest free-to-air and national broadcaster, has taken a 33% ownership stake in Hybrid Television Services, the Seven subsidiary that has TiVo rights in Australia and New Zealand. TVNZ's investment will support the launch of the TiVo service to customers throughout New Zealand - the second DVB-T standard country to begin offering TiVo.
    Similar to the TiVo service available in Australia, digital Freeview channels in New Zealand will be available on broadband connected TiVo(R) DVRs. Viewers will have access to the Emmy(R) award-winning TiVo user interface, which includes internationally recognized TiVo features like SeasonPass(TM) Recordings, WishList(R) Searches and the ability to pause, rewind, fast forward, instant replay, and slow motion live and recorded TV shows.
    In addition to being the largest broadcaster in New Zealand, TVNZ operates an online "catchup TV" service known as TVNZ ondemand, where viewers can access a host of popular programs via the Internet, and, like Seven Network, TVNZ is a member of its local Freeview consortium.
    "TiVo's ongoing efforts to expand its global footprint through strategic alliances with international broadcasters and cable companies is taking another step forward," said Tom Rogers, president and CEO of TiVo Inc. "Our successful rollout in Australia has piqued the interest of others in the media industry across the globe and essentially provided a blueprint that outlines how the TiVo value proposition can help protect their competitive position in their own markets. We are extremely gratified to have TVNZ as a partner and are eager to have Hybrid TV begin making the TiVo service available to New Zealand's millions of free-to-air TV customers."
    "The TiVo media device is a global success and our investment in Hybrid Television Services will ensure that its arrival in New Zealand supports TVNZ's transition to a digital media company," said Rick Ellis, CEO of TVNZ.
    James Warburton, Chief Sales and Digital Officer for Seven Media Group commented, "TiVo had strong Christmas sales and we have been pleased with the uptake in Australia. This investment from TVNZ and their involvement on the board of Hybrid Television Services will ensure that the company is well positioned for the New Zealand launch this year."
    Executives from Seven Media Group and TVNZ will sit on the board of Hybrid Television Services. Under the new structure, James Warburton, Chief Sales and Digital Officer for Seven Media group will chair the board. Rick Ellis, CEO of TVNZ, Rodney Parker, CFO of TVNZ and Bruce McWilliam, Commercial Director for Seven Media Group complete the board.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I've registered my interest at mytivo.co.nz. Great news.

I wonder, with not a little concern, how TivoNZ will view or little community of illegal users? TiVo for the masses is great ,but may be at the expense of our current SKY compatability. Any views, predictions? What has been the story in Oz?

Right now, I'm not even sure if they know about us except for the fact that their lawyers found Jaidev, and not the actual owner of the site they want to claim.

There are a couple of thoughts we have had about this.

1. TiVo marketing is really clueless and are not aware of us, as they have not used us to help promote the new TiVo.

2. They are scared of us, as they don't want their boxes hacked.

Judging by all the other poor marketing decisions made here, I would say 1. is the most likely.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tonys View Post
    I wonder, with not a little concern, how TivoNZ will view or little community of illegal users? TiVo for the masses is great ,but may be at the expense of our current SKY compatability. Any views, predictions? What has been the story in Oz?
    What's illegal?
    We aren't stealing any service, and we aren't hacking hardware to circumvent copyright. I can't think of any other law vaguely applicable.
    Of course that might not prevent the usual might-vs-right threats and lawsuits shutting us down.
    There may be some slight issue over the use of TV timetables to generate our guide data, but I don't know if TV guides would be considered copyrightable in NZ. I think Australian courts recently ruled they are not, so the IceTV EPG could continue?

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Sky EPG ..?

I guess the big question is whether the EPG data will include Sky channels. My understanding is that like Australia, the TiVo service here will be a one-off purchase of the TiVo box, and no monthly EPG charge. But that would not be an ideal solution if the available EPG data doesn't include EPG for Sky channels. My guess is that Sky will try not to allow its EPG to be used for the TiVo - in an attempt to protect its MySKY revenue.

On the other hand, TVNZ can choose whether to allow Sky the rights to broadcast TV1, TV2 and the FTA digital channels after the current agreement runs out. News last week was that they would allow Sky to broadcast those channels. So you'd hope that they've done a deal that requires Sky to provide EPG data .... after all, you'd still have to purchase Sky and have a decoder to actually get the programmes.

Worst scenario would be if TVNZ cannot provide Sky EPG data .. which would emasculate a lot of the TiVo's advantages when used in conjunction with a Sky box.

So fingers crossed someone in TVNZ has done their homework and organised a suitable deal.
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 1 x 250GB, NZ Emulator - Satellite (Sky Digital)

One of the boxes on the mytivo website asks if you have Sky or any other DVR so there is atleast a chance cable will be supported but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would still most likely get a TiVo HD box if it just did FreeviewHD. Since getting HD I watch very few Saturn Analogue channels with my TiVo. I just wish they would get Prime sorted. I was told that the Saturn HD via cable will include Prime in HD but then again they seem to just keep pushing out the announcement of their service. I have held off myskyhd because they keep saying their HD service is 2 weeks away, a month away etc etc... since October last year the date has slipped and slipped. I think Telstra is loosing a lot of business because of FreeviewHD and MySkyHD.

Quote Originally Posted by NZMarke View Post
    I guess the big question is whether the EPG data will include Sky channels.
    The TiVoHD has no AV inputs, so cannot be used with a Sky or any other box - it can record only terrestrial digital broadcasts received via the UHF antenna - ie "FreeviewHD" channels only. The Sky EPG would be of no use on the TiVoHD.
    Perhaps Sky might start broadcasting a terrestrial digital signal, but I don't know if TiVoHD software is capable of decryption and subription to pay-TV channels.
    Our Seires 1 TiVo's probably won't become redundant for a long time.
    Last edited by Skolink; 30-03-2009 at 08:27 AM.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2