Thread: How to copy recorded programs from TiVo to PC

Exclamation How to copy recorded programs from TiVo to PC

Hi all, Firstly my apologies if the answer to this question has been posted in another forum. I have a modded oztivo Series 3 TiVo and I am looking for the easiest way to transfer recorded programs to my PC. As the unit has been modified it no longer has a MAK. Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Are you certain that your TiVo doesn't still have a MAK? The modification doesn't delete it but perhaps you have also replaced the HDD.

I posted a How-To transfer via a browser using the MAK (and how to find it) in this thread but I've not read anywhere that it can be done without one. I believe that the MAK is an encryption key for the recordings.

In that thread Darren posted a caution about backing-up to retain the MAK.

MAK no longer available

Quote Originally Posted by boritz View Post
    Are you certain that your TiVo doesn't still have a MAK? The modification doesn't delete it but perhaps you have also replaced the HDD.

I posted a How-To transfer via a browser using the MAK (and how to find it) in this thread but I've not read anywhere that it can be done without one. I believe that the MAK is an encryption key for the recordings.

In that thread Darren posted a caution about backing-up to retain the MAK.
    Hi boritz and thanks for the reply. I have checked the unit and there is no heading listed Media Access Key under "TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Account & System Information". I have certainly not replaced the HDD. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by pauls02 View Post
    ... I have certainly not replaced the HDD. Any other suggestions? ...
    Unfortunately I don't have anything - except perhaps could a 'factory reset' or 'clear everything' wipe your MAK?

Thinking aloud - "I wonder if a backup from a TiVo with a MAK can be installed on any other TiVo, since licensing is no longer relevant?". I don't know if the MAK is keyed to the host hardware or not.

I don't have Tivos anymore - switched to using FetchTV Mightys.

Hi boritz, Thanks for your reply. I understand why you switched to Fetch as it is a simple matter to copy to program and watch recorded programs remotely. Still, I was thinking that with the oztivo software mods that there must be a way to transfer to the PC. Hopefully someone in the oztivo community will see this post and have some suggestions. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by pauls02 View Post
    As the unit has been modified it no longer has a MAK.
    The TiVo didn’t have one before modding. I check that as one of my pre mod tests.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks Darren. Not sure how that happened as to the best of my knowledge the unit has never been repaired or the HDD replaced.