Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wellington Newbie

That's good news, if your happy with their work post the details back here for others who may be interested.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Petestrash, according to Darrens website he no longer does PAL mods.

Dozely, I'm very keen to find out how you get on, fingers crossed.

Cheers.

I knew Darren was running short of tuners, but didn't know he was totally out

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Bigmal.

I'm back :-)

Sorry for the delay.

Right, I purchased 2x RF tuners (PAL) from Darren King and got him to send them over to me. These may have been the last ones he had (he certainly was nearing the end of his supplies). These cost AUS$30 each + AUS$20 for shipping (approx NZD$100 total).
    I then took my two Tivo's to:
    GP Electronics
    Phone: 04-939 4473
    Cnr Dudley St & Andrews Ave, Lower Hutt
    (thanks to Steve Hepster for the lead)
    along with the excellent instructions (thanks largely to Darren King) and got Pros (an electronics guys) to install the PAL tuners (this cost NZD$125). I cocked up slightly here in that I misread the instructions (my fault) and I didn't get Pros to perform the "mono output" which is a wire from the PAL tuner to 2x capaciters attached to a chip on the main board.
    So...back to the shop with the Tivo's :-(
    Anyway, what with public holidays, and Pros having initial difficulties sourcing the capaciters (he got the right ones in the end) it's taken until today for me to get the Tivo's back (and another NZD$50). For installing the PAL mod's with mono sound output it cost NZD$275. About the same as shipping it to Darren and getting him to perform the work I would guess. Anyway, it's a little on the expensive side all up, so you may want to look at other options (eg Saturn or Sky decoder), but for me it was worth it (one of the Tivo's is in the bedroom and so I HAD to have the PAL mod done. The other Tivo was done because it was there!

Anyway, hope this helps you on your endeavours - if you do decide to get it done I would definitely recommend Pros (GP Electronics) as we was good to deal with and the MOD was done successfully! Yay...

Oh well, back to setting up my season passes...

Dorian

Great to hear it worked out for you Dorian. Now get ready for the 'cant live without tivo' world!

Phil

That's a lot of money, don't forget that you can easily use a 2nd hand VCR to act as a tuner, even one where the entire mechanics are faulty. If you haven't got a spare, you can usually buy them from vcr repair stores for less than $20, sometimes even free.

The only downside is the channel changes are slower, but if use your TiVo properly you shouldn't be surfing live TV anyway .

Peter.

I have 2 VCR's on TradeMe that don't record or play very well.

If any forum person wants them they can have them for free (just a matter of getting them).

One is mono the other NICAM stereo.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=56390282

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=56390432
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by dozley
    For installing the PAL mod's with mono sound output it cost NZD$275.
    Bloody hell

Hobotech www.hobotech.com still has a quantity of fully modded (PAL tuner & 2nd A/V) with hard disks and network cards available. Probably cheaper to buy a fully modded unit from him if you want one with a PAL tuner fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    I knew Darren was running short of tuners, but didn't know he was totally out
    Apart from the dozen or so I am reserving as emergency repairs that is it for me. Given the cost of digital STB (and the push for people to go digital) it has slowed down my sales to a crawl and I doubt I would recoup the investment of another minimum buy batch of 120 pieces.
    Last edited by Darren King; 11-05-2006 at 07:30 AM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

SeanOffShotgun,
    I've PM'ed you regarding the Nicam VCR.

The $275 for the PAL modding of the 2x Tivos was necessary as my existing VCR is a Loewe and I couldn't get the IR codes to work, no matter how hard I tried. Aesthetics were also important to me, and at least now with the Tivo in the bedroom blends in nicely without having (yet) another electronic device (another VCR) in the room.

Dorian

Dozely,

Thanks for the update on the PAL tuner. It does seem a tad expensive but I agree aesthetics is important to me too. VCR's are ugly :-)

Cheers, Jeremy.