Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wellington Newbie

Wellington Newbie

Hi,

I'm a newbie who's dead keen to get into the whole tivo thing and have a couple of questions before I start.

1 - Does the nz tivo operate in a similar fashion to that in the US and UK? ie. can you make wishlists that record everything to do with your favourite actor or choose a tv show and tell the tivo to record it forever?

2 - Is there a difference between hardware manufacturers of tivo's? Is a sony tivo better than a thompsons or phillips?

3 - Is the idea of running tivo in NZ as cool as I'm hoping it'll be? My goal is to get a better alternative to MySky which I believe to be a ripoff.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anyone in Welly wants to demo their tivo I'd be happy to drive anywhere (locally) to see it.

Ooops forget question 1 I founnd the answer to that and now I'm keener than ever.

4 - How stable is nz tivo when it's all up and running? Does it require regular care? I already get my girlfriend calling me when I'm out saying she can't get the tv/video to work etc and if the nz tivo is unstable the phone calls will escalate :-)

Welcome!

1/ Yes, not really any different at all.

2/ UK tivos mean you can use the internal tuner as well as the a/v in jacks.
    I believe they also have scart inputs/outputs so it's possible maybe to get a better quality picture. USA tivos are more affordable but have internal tuners that are NTSC. Whilst these can be replaced with PAL tuners, so far our NZ Nicam cannot be decoded. Most likely you will use a Sky box anyway, so this wont matter.

3/ No Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bigmal
    Hi,

I'm a newbie who's dead keen to get into the whole tivo thing and have a couple of questions before I start.

1 - Does the nz tivo operate in a similar fashion to that in the US and UK? ie. can you make wishlists that record everything to do with your favourite actor or choose a tv show and tell the tivo to record it forever?

2 - Is there a difference between hardware manufacturers of tivo's? Is a sony tivo better than a thompsons or phillips?

3 - Is the idea of running tivo in NZ as cool as I'm hoping it'll be? My goal is to get a better alternative to MySky which I believe to be a ripoff.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anyone in Welly wants to demo their tivo I'd be happy to drive anywhere (locally) to see it.

Sometimes the TiVo will freeze.. but this can be fixed by rebooting it anyway.

I have both of mine set up via a cron task to reboot themselves every morning at 4am (when I'm fast asleep). I haven't experienced any lockups at all since I did this.

Ooops forget question 1 I founnd the answer to that and now I'm keener than ever.

4 - How stable is nz tivo when it's all up and running? Does it require regular care? I already get my girlfriend calling me when I'm out saying she can't get the tv/video to work etc and if the nz tivo is unstable the phone calls will escalate :-)

I'm in J'Ville. Email me if you want to come for a look.

Phil

Right, after seeing dyrplq's tivo I'm hooked (thanks Phil).
    I've ordered one from George along with a cachecard and am eagerly awaiting arrival.

One quick question, is it possible to limit what channels tivo records?
    eg. If I make a wishlist to record all hurricanes rugby games can I tell tivo to only record sky sport 1 and 2 and not the rugby channel?

Cheers, Jeremy.

One quick question, is it possible to limit what channels tivo records?
    Wishlists are not "channel aware" so what you want to do is not possible when using a these to record a particular show (unless you wish to get your hands dirty writing a little code).

Depending on how good the guide data is you should be able to use a Season Pass to do what you wish. Season Passes are channel aware so you choose which channels to record a particular show.

Of course you could just record everything and then delete what you are not interested in

Wahoo! My Tivo arrived today and I'm very amped!!!

Question: Does anyone know where I can source a PAL tuner mod?

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not aware of anyone in NZ doing the installs.

Darren King is guy in Australia if you either want the parts or for him to actually do the install.

His website is http://www.members.westnet.com.au/ki...tivo/index.htm

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I'm in Wellington and appear to have found an electronics guy in Lower Hutt who can do the PAL install. I dropped my Tivo off today, so I'll report back in the next couple of days as to his success...