Thread: The way to get a slice...

The way to get a slice...

Hi all again,

Iv'e been spending the last days reading through the various guides and I just realized a frightening thing. I'm pretty sure there must be a way around it but I have not found it in the guides or in the forums. So If someone who has the knowledge can answer I'll sure appreciate it.

So far I've got the guide in the xmltv form, but I realize that I might have to add some stuff to the xml, for example I must be able to tell which set top box each channel belongs to.

So here are my questions on the guide data (slices)

1. As far as I can read the only way to get the slice into the Tivo is to dial a number, is this correct ?

2. And if not how would I go about it ?

3. Is there a simple way to make a slice out of xmltv xml ?

4. If not where can I find details on the slice format ?

I've seen some snaps from inside the Tivo Series one. And I can see that it has, in at least some pictures, an ethernet port and in one of the guides it is shown how to extend it to the back of the case.

5. Do all of the Tivo Series 1 units have an ethernet port, or am I dead wrong ?

Thanks again for the help so far,
    Regards/ Arro of Iceland

Hi Arro

I'm not a software person but I can answer some of your points:

Quote Originally Posted by Arro
    1. As far as I can read the only way to get the slice into the Tivo is to dial a number, is this correct ?

2. And if not how would I go about it ?

5. Do all of the Tivo Series 1 units have an ethernet port, or am I dead wrong ?
    1&2: That is the traditional way when used in the USA "out of the box" when purchased. You can also use an ethernet connection or the serial port to your PC via PPP. All these are covered in the "networking" section on the oztivo website. Given you probably do not want to spend money on making phone calls to your PC that you intend using to emulate a proper TiVo guide data server then the easiest option would be via ethernet.

5: No they don't. This is an add-on card purchased seperately. They are called Turbonet cards. There is also something called the Cachecard and also a wireless type called the Airnet. See www.9thtee.com for more information.

In regards to questions 3&4 then petestrash can possibly help out, or you may want to have a quick read here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Guidedata/WebHome where you can also obtain the Wktivoguide for your own local server.

Cheers
    Last edited by Darren King; 21-03-2006 at 10:00 AM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

For the 2 points left, it would be best you contact the tivocanada group as they have the tools you need.

There is a file called xml2tivo which does the conversion for you.

Tivocanada have asked us not to distribute these files as they can be used to get around the TiVo service in countries where the service is available.

You should have no trouble joining if you use your local email address, not hotmail etc as they check IP's. Looking from here, your IP is fine.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi again,

I registered in the tivo canada forums and after 10 days I still can't see any of the forums. I was wondering if anyone who has access could send a private message to the moderators and ask for them to validate me ?

The forums seem to be the only thing still running and the only mean of communicating with them.

Reagards, Arro of Iceland

Hi Arro, I have passed the message along to the TiVoCanada forum admin.

Thanks alot...

The moderator does get snowed under a fair bit and waiting a couple of weeks is not unusual.

There is also a yahoo group, tivo_canada@yahoogroups.com you could try and post a request there, in case they are ignoring your IP.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!