Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controlling two set top boxes

Controlling two set top boxes

Hi,

First off I want to bow for the awesome job ozTivo has done.

Im wondering if it is possible to have two set top boxes feeding the Tivo. My problem is that in my country we have two cable networks, each with its own set top box (digital receiver/descrambler).

What I would like to be able to do is Connect the two boxes to the Tivo and control everything from the Tive through the Tivo remote and IR blasters.

So is this possible or am I wasting my time looking for a solution ?

Regards/ Arro of Iceland

Quote Originally Posted by Arro
    What I would like to be able to do is Connect the two boxes to the Tivo and control everything from the Tive through the Tivo remote and IR blasters.
    So is this possible or am I wasting my time looking for a solution ?
    Regards/ Arro of Iceland
    The simple answer is no, this is not a supported configuration as the IR blasters can only be configured for one STB. Update: As Peter has pointed out (in the following post) this information is incorrect. I have just checked the MFS entries and he is correct in that there is a separate CableBoxCodeNum entry for each Source, so it is possible to have two STB's connected.

[If you are real keen on doing this then you could potentially code a solution that would monitor the logs files and pick up when the TiVo is changing the channel and re-issue that code to the other STB by "manually" taking over the IR-Blasters and pushing the signal out. This would change the channel of both STB's and would be a rather messy configuration. You are way better off just setting up two TiVo's!!!]
    Last edited by thomson; 17-03-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    The simple answer is no, this is not a supported configuration as the IR blasters can only be configured for one STB.
    I don't think this is correct, if you install the hardware modification to add a second set of audio inputs (see: HowToAddaSecondAudioInput), then run the add-stb.tcl script you should be able to do a GS with two separate STB's and IR codes. The only problem being the IR codes are sent to both boxes, so if you have any overlapping codes it may make changes to the wrong box.

Arro, could you please add your location to your user profile so when people help they know you are not from Australia or New Zealand so the answers suit your location.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi, and thank you both for the pointers.

I studied the HowToAddaSecondAudioInput and it seems like a solution. As I understand it the S-VHS input would be used as one video input and the Composite input for the other.

Regarding IR-blasting the boxes. They have different remotes, I assume you are refferring to the IR codes so I think that will not be a problem. But what might be a problem is placing the blaster in such a way it reaches both boxes...

Anyways can't wait to get my hands on the unit (its on its way ...)

Maybe one more question, Iceland has Nicam stereo, will that be a problem? t I've read that NZ and OZ have different audio, im assuming (read hoping) one or the other suites my needs.

Regards Arro of Iceland

I studied the HowToAddaSecondAudioInput and it seems like a solution. As I understand it the S-VHS input would be used as one video input and the Composite input for the other.
    Correct.

Regarding IR-blasting the boxes. They have different remotes, I assume you are refferring to the IR codes so I think that will not be a problem. But what might be a problem is placing the blaster in such a way it reaches both boxes...
    This shouldn't be a problem, the TiVo has a powerful blaster built into the 'eye' at the front of the unit. It usually happily bounces IR off walls to control other equipment. You can also buy dual head blaster cables if need be.

Maybe one more question, Iceland has Nicam stereo, will that be a problem? t I've read that NZ and OZ have different audio, im assuming (read hoping) one or the other suites my needs.
    Thomson or Darren are probably the best to help you here, but from memory Nicam is still not supported so you will have mono only.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thank you all again for giving a noob some really good and fast answers. I actually was not expecting it with the internet culture having become what it is today. It seems most people want to get without giving.

I have one more tought, as I've been running through what I want to do, and in order to have everything I need (hopefully) when the box arrives. Is it possible to get a component signal out of the Tivo ? There is some mention about RGB in the forums but they seem to be UK Tivo related.

Regards/ Arro of Iceland

Is it possible to get a component signal out of the Tivo ? There is some mention about RGB in the forums but they seem to be UK Tivo related.
    Not out of a USA TiVo it isn't, and neither is NICAM sound. In short you have the wrong model box to do this. If you want either (or both) you should be looking for a UK model TiVo that has SCART connectors and the right chip to decode NICAM sound, both of which a USA TiVo cannot do.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Hi, I sort of had that figured, just wanted someone to confirm it. Thats ok, the problem is its difficult to find a UK Tivo thats not going for like 120 sterling. I bought a couple of USA Tivos for about 120 dollars with shipping.

I also keep reading about the UK boxes freezing, don't actually know if its just my general feeling after scanning the ozTivo forums but it seems to me to be reacurring problem.

I'll be happy to give the USA Tivos a spin and see where I can get with them.

I have already written a program to gather all the channel guides from the available channels xmltv style. Going to do some digging on how to get it on the Tivo in the forums and guides.

Again thanks everyone for the input, I sure appreciated it and hope that I can do the same for someone after I get really started.

Regards/ Arro of Iceland

If you are planning on using the tuner then Nicam stereo ona US unit could be a bit of a problem. However it will not be an issue for the Cable/STB's as these will be outputting left/right audio directly to the TiVo.

Thats great to hear, I'm planning on doing exactly what you proposed.