Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How set up a cron job for everyday TIVO reboot

Quote Originally Posted by arvesolland
    Im only using a austar STB (QLD) at the moment, no FTA so will any PALMOD errors still show up...
    Hmm... that's a little more interesting... my understanding is that there should be very little "processing" being performed on the left/right audio from a STB connection.

I have attached a version of palmod that includes some debugging output. This may help us determine if some software tweaking is possible. I would strongly suggest implementing the failsafe mechanism outlined in this post to ensure that you will never get stuck in a reboot loop when running development palmod modules.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    This is a TCL script not a Bourne(sh) script. It should be run with the full path or in your case './safereboot.tcl'.
    Works now.

Hmm... that's a little more interesting... my understanding is that there should be very little "processing" being performed on the left/right audio from a STB connection.
    I have see hardware faults cause the issue described, from memory some caps need to be changed on the mainboard.

Maybe Darren can add to this.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

the sound cutting out is my major problem at the moment
    Are you running a CacheCard? If you are then you might like to check the firmware revision of the card. More information can be found here.

It is also handy to know if changing the channel solved the sound issue. For instance, if there is no sound does changing the channel reset it? Have you ever had the sound disappear while watching a show... does it sometimes disappear partway into a show, or always at the beginning? These questions will also help determine if it is a software versus hardware issue.

Are you running a CacheCard? If you are then you might like to check the firmware revision of the card. More information can be found here.

It is also handy to know if changing the channel solved the sound issue. For instance, if there is no sound does changing the channel reset it? Have you ever had the sound disappear while watching a show... does it sometimes disappear partway into a show, or always at the beginning? These questions will also help determine if it is a software versus hardware issue.

Hi, im running a x-factor 1.0 card. I will try changing the channels when the sound is out next time, i vaguely remember doing it once and the sound didnt come back until rebooting...but im not sure.
    The sound can dissapear at any time, not just at the start of the show. After the sound cuts out, the video also shows some artifacts and sometimes becomes jerky.

After the sound cuts out, the video also shows some artifacts and sometimes becomes jerky.
    The fact that it also affects the image is interesting.

Have you tried a using a different drive?

Even a small test drive, I think about 2gig is the smallest the image will load on to to see if the problem still occurs.

Also if you want to rule out the network card as being an issue, you can safely remove it for a week and see what happens. You don't show your location, but assuming your in Australia, the best day to try is Sunday after making a daily call. you should have data through to next Saturday.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi,

I just experienced a sound loss again yesterday. The video got jerky as well....
    I tried up/down in the channels and it worked! Everything went back to normal.
    Anyone have any ideas why this happens ?
    I did a dump of the kernel log and piped into a grep PALMOD, but nothing there,,,,,,,
    Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Arve

Yah I've had that.. channel up down fixes it.

It comes and goes (hasn't happened for 2+ months now).

If you extract the video, from memory, there is no audio. I suspect that is why the video becomes jerky.

I just experienced a sound loss again yesterday. The video got jerky as well....
    I tried up/down in the channels and it worked! Everything went back to normal.
    Anyone have any ideas why this happens ?
    Are you using a new HDD in your TiVo or is one of the original drives?

When I have seem similar sound issues, it did not affect the picture.

Do you have any spare HDD's, even just a few Gb would be enough to load the image onto and test a few days to see if the sound and reboot issues go away.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    Hi,

Cron entry: Add the following to /hack/etc/crontab to execute the script every day @ 4am. Ensure a blank line remains at the end of the file.

00 04 * * * root reboot

Peter.
    'root reboot' - how is this command different from 'reboot'

Adding 'root reboot' to crontab as above does not seem to carry out a reboot on my system (V1.5)?

Quote Originally Posted by argo
    'root reboot' - how is this command different from 'reboot'
    Cron varies between systems... in the above example (usually reserved for system crontab files) it means execute the reboot command as the 'root' user.

This is not expected for the crontab files on the TiVo, so just '05 03 * * * reboot' should reboot the system at 03:05am each day.