Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tivo Serial Problem - Please Help!!!

Tivo Serial Problem - Please Help!!!

hey everyone.
    how yall doing?

i have now had my tivo for just over 2 months...and i have just been away for 8 weeks =P

before i left i had tivo working perfectly set up to download guide data through serial cable. when i left i unplugged it all coz my family didnt have a clue what to do =P

when i got back i went to set it up again. whiole i was away we got a new computer so i had to set up the serial configs for the new computer.
    but there is a problem...
    for some reason it just wont connect.
    i tried doing the hyper terminal thing. i tried several different speed and all it came up with was garbage.
    i couldnt find the "user request" in any of them.

does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? i would really like to use my tivo again.

thanks and cyaz!

ps. im getting a network card as soon as they are in stock but i would like to get serial working now =)

Hi Peter,

It's unlikely to be the TiVo, if you haven't changed any settings on it.

A few of things to confirm and check.

1. You have modified the mdmhayes.inf on the new PC's
    2. You are still using a null modem adapter or have wired the cable as a
    null modem
    3. You have confirmed the PC's serial port and cable are working using the
    paper clip loopback test
    4. you are using 57600 baud on the PC, not 115200 as the picture shows and
    have flow control set to none.

It's also worth trying a reboot of the TiVo, once the PC is setup and
    waiting for an incoming connection.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

hey peter,

1. i have definitely modified the mdmhayes.inf file.
    2. okay i dont know what ur on about here =P i just bought this cable off Darren =P
    3. as i posted above the cable and serial port must work because when i use hyperterminal its comes up with stuff.
    4. yes i am using 57600 baud on my computer

as i say....garbage is coming up on hyperterminal....doesnt this mean something is happening?

Peter

[edit] OMG!!!!! WOULD NOT DELETING THE CORROSPONDING PNF HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT NOT WORKING???? [/edit]

[edit2] okay that didnt work either....im posting a pic of what comes up in hyperterminal when i put COM2, 57600....this is from when im booting up then it just keeps going and going [/edit2]
    Last edited by normal_kinda_guy; 21-06-2006 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by normal_kinda_guy
    2. okay i dont know what ur on about here =P i just bought this cable off Darren =P
    I think the cable Darren supplies is a straight serial cable. I think it usually comes with a null modem dongle on the 9pin end. It won't work successfully without the dongle attached.

as i say....garbage is coming up on hyperterminal....doesnt this mean something is happening?
    Looking at PPP via hyperterminal does look like garbage (Also garbage can look like garbage ). The paperclip test will show if you are passing correct info via the serial port.

[edit] OMG!!!!! WOULD NOT DELETING THE CORROSPONDING PNF HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT NOT WORKING???? [/edit]
    What PNF are you talking about ?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

ey peter.

what is this null modem dongle u speak of? =P
    before i went away everything worked fine....the cable worked fine.

also this paper clip test. i read how to do it but for some reason it wont work for me.....u just have to get a paper clip...one end touching the ring...one touching the end? while in hyperterminal?

lol the mdmhaynes pnf...dont worry bout that =P

its just all weird how it worked before i left now i get back to use on new computer and it doesnt...so strange...

anyway other ideas?

cyaz!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    I think the cable Darren supplies is a straight serial cable. I think it usually comes with a null modem dongle on the 9pin end. It won't work successfully without the dongle attached.
    No dongle. I supply exactly what George sells, that is the straight through serial cable. These are what everyone uses for getting a bash prompt up via serial (provided of course they are not doing PPP-over-serial). As NCG said it worked before he went away on a different PC so the cable should be fine.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King
    No dongle. I supply exactly what George sells, that is the straight through serial cable.
    What George sells is not straight though, it is already wired as a null modem (TX/RX crossed), so I guess yours are also the same.

The point I was trying to make is perhaps if this cable needed a null modem dongle and it had gone missing during the PC swaps, it would explain the current problems.

Peter.

also this paper clip test. i read how to do it but for some reason it wont work for me.....u just have to get a paper clip...one end touching the ring...one touching the end? while in hyperterminal?
    If you can't get the characters echoed when doing the paperclip test then something is still wrong with the PC setup.

Peter.

what does this "dongle" look like? would u happen to have a picture? maybe i could find it somewhere =P
    you think this might be the answer to all my problems?

thanks! =)

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    What George sells is not straight though, it is already wired as a null modem (TX/RX crossed), so I guess yours are also the same.
    Yes. That is correct. I also agree that if after doing the loopback test and not getting legible characters echoed back on the screen from what you type means a problem with the PC setup.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!