Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How set up a cron job for everyday TIVO reboot

I read this thread a while ago and decided to load a cron job reboot at 4am every day as well. The Tivo has been running flawlessly ever since.

However, sometimes my guide data isn't fully indexed and programs aren't being found by my wishlists. Forcing an index fixes this problem. Thus I'm wondering if my Tivo decides to do a daily call at say 3:45am and then the cron job reboots it (while it's still indexing) then does the indexing ever get completed? (ie. after rebooting)

Is it possible to load a cron job that will only reboot the tivo if it's not indexing?

Thanks in advance, Jeremy.

P.S. I got my first tivo a few months ago and love it so much I have two more on the way from the States :-) Keep up the great work fellas!

I haven't heard of reboots causing indexing problems, it should restart the indexing after the reboot.

But if you want to be sure, you could always add an indexing line to cron like:

00 04 * * * /var/hack/bin/force_index.tcl > /var/log/force index 2>&1 &

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks Pete, I'll give that a try.

If the Tivo is smart enough to continue indexing after a reboot then what other possible reasons would there before my Tivo not indexing? I didn't find any evidence of a warped clock or anything.

Cheers, Jeremy.

I haven't heard of anyone with the same problems.

A lot of people use the early morning reboot, so if that was causing it I should have heard by now.

It does sound like a warped clock issue, but as you said there was no evidence of that.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!