Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy Emulator 2

Yes - I was talking holes in the house...

I just threaded the cable through the way george said to on his website, but now I feel all uncreative

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by SeanOffShotgun
    As for my sed idea, I'll test it tonight when my TiVo is connected to my network - it's hard wired at the moment, and cables and under five year olds don't mix.
    OK, my sed solution would go something like this:

tivo # rw
    tivo # sed 's/w\.x\.y\.z/66\.238\.88\.163/' /etc/tclient.conf > /tmp/tclient.conf
    tivo # cp /tmp/tclient.conf /etc/tclient.conf
    tivo # ro

Where w.x.y.z is the original ip address, but I'm too stupid to be sure what it was originally, can someone help me out?
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Holes

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    or should I start drilling holes and threading network cable?
    It would be a shame to have all that broadband sitting at the other end of the house, but for a few holes and a few meters of CAT5. Hardwired tested ethernet to a router that serves DHCP would avoid some of the teething issues that have been reported here recently. I take it you got a turbonet card too??? - (you didn't say) - that would have to be one expensive NIC to leave unconnected ...

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    Oh, I forgot to add, you'll probably want to set the time on the Tivo, set it to localtime:

settime [YYYYMMDDhhmm[ss]]
    settime -rtc
    Hi, just wondering about this... because my TiVo's clock is 12 hours slow.
    (My unix/linux is a bit rusty these days).

The cron job (fixtime.cron) looks like it does a time sync with an internet clock. Since the GMT offset (on my TiVo at least) is 0 (zero) won't the time just be set back 12 hours slow again each time the cron job runs?

I would I suppose like to be running NZST/NZDT or whatever it's really called. I followed some instructions from Tim's website under the heading "Setting the TimeSync Up for New Zealand" but that didn't seem to help. In case you are wondering I followed Ed emulator post which has a postcode of 02113 so I had to alter Tim's instructions accordingly.

Or am I just way off beam?
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

The cron job (fixtime.cron) looks like it does a time sync with an internet clock. Since the GMT offset (on my TiVo at least) is 0 (zero) won't the time just be set back 12 hours slow again each time the cron job runs?
    To test my theory I ran (something like):

[TiVo [p0] ~]# settime 200408121025

and then:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# settime -rtc

the time displayed OK. Then (just for fun I rebooted and) I ran

[TiVo [p0] ~]# date
    Thu Aug 12 10:30:48 localtime 2004
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# fixtime.cron
    Time set to: Thu Aug 12 10:31:08 2004
    Have a nice day.
    Time set to: Wed Aug 11 22:32:04 2004
    Have a nice day.

So yes the cron job sync's and changes the time back to correct GMT.

Other people don't seem to be saying much about this. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Please.

Quick Start Guide

Hey guys,

As requested by Clive, this is a first draft for a NZ Quick Start guide:
    http://nztivo.net/default.aspx/NZTivo.QuickStart

Now, I haven't put a link to it in the topics page, as it's just a draft. Also note that I wrote it in the PHP wiki (mediawiki) that maybe replacing the current wiki, so the formatting is slightly different, and the images don't work, and the links are not pretty like in mediawiki - I just put it up to get comments additions and changes that I can transpose to the mediawiki version.
    I found myself looking for such a doc (Beginners FAQ was okay, but not definitive enought) when I was looking into Tivo...

To test my theory I ran (something like):

[TiVo [p0] ~]# settime 200408121025

and then:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# settime -rtc

the time displayed OK. Then (just for fun I rebooted and) I ran

[TiVo [p0] ~]# date
    Thu Aug 12 10:30:48 localtime 2004
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# fixtime.cron
    Time set to: Thu Aug 12 10:31:08 2004
    Have a nice day.
    Time set to: Wed Aug 11 22:32:04 2004
    Have a nice day.

I also have not sorted this, and came across the 2113 postcode thing too, and downloaded the Auckland postcode file from Tim's site. The postcodeszones file was added with Auckland as a 0800 post code... I found if I changed it to 2113 it would find Auckland, but the GMT offset was STILL 0 - and therefore was incorrect at 12 hours out. So I set it back to 0800. THIS IS NOT A FIX...
    All in all, I still have to do the settime -rtc, whenever it goes wrong, which it doesn't...

Exclamation Stupid Tivo

Because I am soo pisst off now about the stupid ICS STUPID TIVO thing Im going to go and buy a router! And organise ADSL. But I have a few questions hoping that someone knows the answers...

1) If I get a router can I use it to get the STUPID TIVO to talk to my PC and also use my Dialup connection (at least until I get the new connection sorted)????

2)Any reccommendations on a good router for a brainless twit with to much money to spend... Damn this STUPID TIVO better be good!

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    1) If I get a router can I use it to get the STUPID TIVO to talk to my PC and also use my Dialup connection (at least until I get the new connection sorted)????

2)Any reccommendations on a good router for a brainless twit with to much money to spend... Damn this STUPID TIVO better be good!
    1) yes

2) I'm a brainless twit and I bought and like:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113527

(I bought it from there [Ascent] also)

Careful though this thing keeps going down in price. So you not be happy with all that money you have left over when you do actually buy it.

It gives you wireless also... for later maybe.

my stupid TiVo currently has a nice black screen... I'll see your grrrr and raise it grrrrrrrr

tisk tisk badmouthing tivo..

(i should take ya'll out back and shoot you on the spot)