RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
    inet addr:0.0.0.0 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:0.0.0.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
    Interrupt:29

Interestingly enough if I ping 0.0.0.0 I get no answer hehehe...

My network is made up of WinXP, an Ethernet Switch and the Tivo. I am using (I think) ICS & the WinXP built in DHCP server thingy...

Im using a Turbonet Card supplied by George installed by yours truly (probably a bad thing) but it is definately slotted in correctly and when I have the cover of the Tivo it is lighted green on the corner of the card when powered on.

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    so will see if I can get any sensible technical comment on the performance of their Pace SCARTs.
    Pahhh 'Sky customer service + technical' don't go there, never go there, you wont get anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    Hi Clive,

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Sorry only just learnt about the ifconfig and I get this result:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
    inet addr:0.0.0.0 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:0.0.0.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
    Interrupt:29

Interestingly enough if I ping 0.0.0.0 I get no answer hehehe...

My network is made up of WinXP, an Ethernet Switch and the Tivo. I am using (I think) ICS & the WinXP built in DHCP server thingy...

Im using a Turbonet Card supplied by George installed by yours truly (probably a bad thing) but it is definately slotted in correctly and when I have the cover of the Tivo it is lighted green on the corner of the card when powered on.

Marv
    Is there a link light on the switch?
    Looks like the turbonet (drivers) doesn't like winxp's DHCP, either implement a real dhcp server. Or rerun 'nic_config_tivo' and enter a manual IP address for your tivo..
    Then try pinging the address from your PC..

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    Marv
    It's pretty clear that DHCP via ICS is not working. Hardware, drivers etc look OK as the OS is detecting eth0 (per ifconfig) and you have a light but an IP of 0.0.0.0 means that tivo has not received an answer from a DHCP server at boot time.

Beyond running through ICS setup again, I've run out of suggestions, as I don't use ICS.

Keep at it mate, it's worth the anguish. We're on our second evening here and all is well.

One other random thought - does anyone else think that the series 1 Philips front panel is a piece of absolutely classic design? I can't stop staring at it wedged there between my Denon HT receiver and DVD player. At 2 am this morning, I SWEAR the big black all-seeing eye winked at me.
    Yes I certainly do. George from Eksys sent me a Series 1 Philips HDR312 - got it yesterday (also up late last night, and not quite finished). The HDR312 has silver around the black eye - I think now that I like it more than plain black.

Any way I better forget about mt TiVo for the mo' and (oh bother) get back to my 'job' - looking after the kids... roll on bedtime (for them).
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

As my contribution to the effort, I intend to start over from scratch and carefully document a step by step howto for NZ conditions based on the emulator approach. I think non-linuxers will struggle a bit without something like that at current state of the art. It might be worth maintaining our own iso with that pesky IP address fixed???
    Clive,

I'm not quite finished my setup as I've said but I too would like to create a document that builds on what Ed and all have done so far (step by step for NZers that use Sky Digital). Would you like to make it a small collaborative effort? Contact me via my profile if you are interested (or I'll just duplicate your effort).

Sean.

PS

For what it's worth I think that we should leave ISO creation up to those in the West Island. I imagine that "pesky IP address" could be sorted with something like sed. The RW and RO problem is catered for in the TiVo web module - just use your favourite web browser to get to your TiVo (using it's IP address), the RW/RO toggle is in the main menu.

As for my sed idea, I'll test it tonight when my TiVo is connected to my network - it's hard wired at the moment, and cables and under five year olds don't mix.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Clive and Seanoffshotgun,

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I plan on updating the nztivo.net wiki site - I have confirmed this with Tim. It will be a PHP Wiki site, and I'm slowly building it. I will be linking and reproducing some of the info on Oztivo, and crediting the info from the origin for each excerpt used. I have just finished what I like to call the Quick Start document, which can be very quickly assessed by potential NZ tivo-interested people and can see if the technical and cost measures up to what they expect etc. Also what some of the lingo is, when reading further documents. It would be great it there is a newbie setup guide. I was planning on doing one anyway - I will have another 2-3 tivos for friends coming in the next while, but none will be with PAL tuner info, this is what I desperately need some more info on. Also anything on dial-up. I'm flying blind! So if you guys want to put together anything you can and keep me posted, I can put it on the new wiki site. I found there was so many sites and pages to keep track of (eksys for installing netcard, oztivo, nzforums, tim's wiki, tim's homepage) so yeah I want to consolidate to one totally nz-focussed site.
    Please get intouch with me through my profile, or send me a private message through the forum...
    Cheers guys...

The Fellowship of the TiVo

Quote Originally Posted by SeanOffShotgun
    I'm not quite finished my setup as I've said but I too would like to create a document that builds on what Ed and all have done so far (step by step for NZers that use Sky Digital). Would you like to make it a small collaborative effort?
    Absolutely - there's a small group of us that have jumped through the hoops at roughly the same time. Pooling effort will cover more hardware options.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxer37
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I plan on updating the nztivo.net wiki site - I have confirmed this with Tim. It will be a PHP Wiki site, and I'm slowly building it. I will be linking and reproducing some of the info on Oztivo, and crediting the info from the origin for each excerpt used. I have just finished what I like to call the Quick Start document, which can be very quickly assessed by potential NZ tivo-interested people and can see if the technical and cost measures up to what they expect etc.
    I'm happy to help in any way I can and nztivo.net would be the logical place - reviewing/testing what you've already done or whatever. If I hadn't been linux CLI capable and read widely from many sources before starting, I doubt I would have got there in one afternoon. I suspect there's a significant segment of folks that would kill to have one of these amazing boxes but would baulk at some of the technical complexity (I think the FFWD article has set expectations a tad high at this point). A comprehensive howto for newbies would swell the NZ tivo population and success breeds growth by word of mouth etc. Do you want your Quick Start critiqued at this stage?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanOffShotgun
    For what it's worth I think that we should leave ISO creation up to those in the West Island. I imagine that "pesky IP address" could be sorted with something like sed. The RW and RO problem is catered for in the TiVo web module - just use your favourite web browser to get to your TiVo (using it's IP address), the RW/RO toggle is in the main menu.
    Happy to take some of these ideas one step at a time - my thought was that a non-linux type with a typical jetstream gateway box (many of which run a DHCP server out of the box (and, hence, avoid all the hassle that people like Marv have experienced) would have a much easier path if they were limited to simply having to image and physically mount a drive, boot up and follow the on-screen setup wizard to get going in an afternoon.

Is it best to take this offline now or keep extending this thread???

Hi guys - hope this is an OK place to introduce myself. Tivo noobie finally prodded into action by FFWD. Got my box from george, and got it running tonight the manual way - hadn't caught up with the emulator business. No guide data yet, but I'm working on it.

Saw a few posts earlier about SCART to s-video (horrible) - exactly my experience too, with or without Tivo in the signal chain.

One question - my TV/Tivo isn't that close to my network at the moment - having done the setup, what are the pro's/con's of just getting slices by phone (if I read correctly, this is available going through the emulator?), or should I start drilling holes and threading network cable? I suspect that I could also hook the turbonet card to a wireless access point and do it that way.

My setup Jetstream/Linux (Slack10)/Netgear ADSL/Router, Sky Digital, Pace STB, Philips Tivo (with the silver bit), Maxtor 160GB.

Cheers
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    or should I start drilling holes and threading network cable?
    Maybe you are talking about drilling holes in walls of your house but if you are talking about drilling holes in your TiVo case then read on...

(I got this tip from a friend last night)...
    I have a Philips HDR312. To get the short network cable that came with my TiVo from the TurboNet card to the outside of my case I poked it through the RHS hole in the bottom of the TiVo case right underneath the fan. Removing and replacing the fan simply requires some wiggling of the fan and bending the 2 'prongs' at the top of the fan.

The cable pokes out the bottom of the TiVo in an odd place, but who cares, no one ever sees it.

PS

Because the short cable that I have came those RJ45 clip protector thingies ... to fit it through the hole I cut the protector off (can be done with no effect to the cable and no residue rubber).