Thread: Delay in changing channels

Delay in changing channels

I am running a digital cable foxtel box and sometimes when I change channels the delay between the Tivo receiving the change and sending it to the foxtel box seems to take about 30 seconds. Is there anything I can try to prevent or fix this.

Thanks

When you did Guided Setup you would have been given the opportunity to test the requested IR code. Did you happen to do this and maybe pick "slow", rather than "medium" or "fast"?

At any rate, 30 seconds seems to be WAY too long. There will always be a delay, but this is only maybe five seconds or so at maximum.

Can you please verify the speed you chose, and also an accurate time measurement of this delay?

Thanks.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

The way TiVo work is as follows:

You press the channel up button moving from say 199 to 200.
    The channel up message is sent from the remote to the TiVo.
    This command joins a queue for processing, and is handled at a low priority.
    The TiVo calculates what it needs to do to respond to your channel up command.
    TiVo then sends the codes for 2,0,0 (or 0,2,0,0) to the IR blaster queue, which again has a low priority.
    TiVo then sends the 2,0,0 codes to your STB, which changes much slower than just pressing ch up on the STB remote.

This is a very ineffcient process, and makes surfing painful.

But now you have TiVo, you should never need to channel surf as you will always have something recorded to watch. Your viewing habits will slowly change.

30 Seconds does seem a very long time. Could be your TiVo was busy at those times processing other tasks.

If you want to play with it, you may be able to speed up part of the process by altering the TunerDigitDelay to a lower value.

See steps 15 & 17 in IRConversionAndSetup for the basics on how to do it.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Joys of being a new father keeping you up Darren
    Last edited by petestrash; 23-02-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

?

I also have this issue of 30 second channel changing but through experimentation I have found that if I press "forward" on the remote 3 times while I am waiting for the channel to change, it changes instantly! Don't ask me why this works (my theory is that the additional ir commands by pressing forward somehow 'push' the channel change to occur) but it does, and consistantly.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    Joys of being a new father keeping you up Darren
    Yep... that's the one
    Last edited by petestrash; 23-02-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    When I did the setup I tested it on fast and it worked every time then and for the first day, but since it has been very slow, I have gone back in set up mode and tried a few others, all of them dont seem to make any difference.
    It appears that something else must be happening which delays the priority getting to change channels, whether it is recording or not does not seem to make a difference. I am at work so cannot try the fast forward button, but try it later.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    But now you have TiVo, you should never need to channel surf as you will always have something recorded to watch. Your viewing habits will slowly change.
    I would have to agree here. I've had my two tivos for about 2 years now, and only NOW am I just watching what is recorded rather than live tv. A joy of being kept busy with first home DIY tasks It is rather blissful not having to watch ads OR conform to the schedules that the TV channels insist we live our lives by.

ZollyMonsta