Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running out of data port 8000

Exclamation Running out of data port 8000

If you are running out of community guide data on the port 8000 emulator see the following thread

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=914

All port 8000 emulator users will need to move to port 80.

Unfortunately the slice codes have changed on the new emulating system and the result is that new data will be overlooked by any tivos setup from the legacy headends.

All new setups should be against port 8000, legacy setups will continue to work on port 80.

Edit: THERE IS NO NEED TO GS JUST CHANGE THE PORT AS OUTLINED IN POST BELOW
    Last edited by DJC; 11-03-2006 at 05:47 PM.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Quick question - what do you classify as a new install?

Sorry to be dense (I was born that way!)
    )

.. but I've read the post you mentioned, and I'm a little confused. You said:

Basically we are asking users to migrate to port 80 to allow port 8000 to become the emulator for new installs from this point forward.

But what constitutes a "new install"? Is that anything from the yet-to-come NZ images? I've just recently (re)-installed from the latest OzTivo image, and I'm using port 80. That's correct right? Or should I be on 8000?

Cheers

Mark

Gs

Can we stay on 8000 and just re-run GS?

We are encouraging you to hang out and GS on port 80 until we deploy the new headends.

Currently port 8000 is running the old headends (so you're ok either way at present). We will change it over to the new headends on the 1st of March.

At that point tivos with the legacy configuration will get 'failed to prepare data' messages. So this is why we are encouraging users to convert to port 80 now - before the changes are made.

I've dropped a message onto tivos on port 8000 giving the date.

After the change ... we would like new installations (or re-installations) to GS off 8000 to use the new setup which will become the standard from here on.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by NZMarke
    Sorry to be dense (I was born that way!)
    )

.. but I've read the post you mentioned, and I'm a little confused. You said:

Basically we are asking users to migrate to port 80 to allow port 8000 to become the emulator for new installs from this point forward.

But what constitutes a "new install"? Is that anything from the yet-to-come NZ images? I've just recently (re)-installed from the latest OzTivo image, and I'm using port 80. That's correct right? Or should I be on 8000?

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by DJC; 16-02-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by dyrplq
    Can we stay on 8000 and just re-run GS?
    You can try. Up to you. Post your results.

From the testing we have done so far, in order to move to the new headends you need to be prepared to do a clear and delete everything and then run GS. The new headends will not go in over the top of a previously configured unit.

The other issue is that the community guide data slice namings are changing to support the satellite and FTA location slices, therefore tivos configured with the legacy headends won't see them. This will cause tivos configured on the old headends to appear to run out of data (we are pretty sure of this).

We are keeping port 80 fed with the legacy community guide slices, so your best bet is to stay there in the sort term. When you are ready to cut across (up for a clear and delete) you can.

The ONLY difference between port 80 and 8000 is the logo slice. You will not loose the logos going to port 80 so there is little change in terms of functionality.

The new emulator setup has a fully indexed logo slice among other extras and I'll be working with its logo setup from here on.

Nuts & Bolts of needed changes.

TiVo Newbie here -

To best respond to these changes should we:

a) TELNET into the TiVo and change the Emulator IP address to: 127::210.48.107.133:80
    (from .....133:8000)

or

b) Reload the latest NZ image (checking the image has the new Emulator port IP address) and run Guided Setup.

If it was just an Emulator IP/Port address change then I'm sure the answer is a), however the headend changes have me a little confused, which brings me to b)!

The answer is (a) change from port 8000 to 80.

Should be a 2 minute job with no visible service impact.

[headends are not changing on port 80 ~ we are updating port 8000]

But just to be clear....

....I am currently running on 8000. If I choose not to change this, can I simply re-run GS once the emulator has been changed on the 1st March?

Sure.

But as the title of the thread says, you will start to run low on data near the end of the month.

And secondly, you can't just do a GS without clearing and deleting all your recordings to get onto the new setup.

Up to you really. My advice is to go 80.
    Last edited by DJC; 19-02-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Right

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    Sure.

But as the title of the thread says, you will start to run low on data near the end of the month.

And secondly, you can't just do a GS without clearing and deleting all your recordings to get onto the new setup.

Up to you really. My advice is to go 80.
    Ah yes, good point. Changing now!
    Last edited by DJC; 19-02-2006 at 03:32 PM.