Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Zealand Install Images Testing

I could email you a copy, or post you a cd, let me know relevant details.
    tony@dhsteel.co.nz

thanks for the offer (it's apparent you're a supportive bunch already!) but the download's just come right. ETA 11mins. Im glad I found this sticky thread as i'd just been battling through the installation process of the default oztivo image. I couldnt seem to find sky digital after it'd downloaded the data. By the sounds of it, this image and a said emulator simplifies the process.

-- edit --

Which file am I to get?

ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_im...-Installer.iso or ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_im...-Installer.iso. I downloaded the later and found it's version 1.5, im under the impression 3 is the newest.
    Last edited by reticent; 27-06-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reticent
    ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_im...-Installer.iso. I downloaded the later and found it's version 1.5, im under the impression 3 is the newest.
    The version number of the image is different from the Tivo software version number. What you have is the latest image (v1.5). All Philips/Sony images will be running v3.0 of the Tivo Software - they will just have different extras loaded.

bugger, I ended up installing the pre-release version in attempt to get it to say 'version 3.0' down the bottom Seems to be working pretty well though so no complaints. My only gripe is that it seems to be a bit jerky sometimes, after I change channels, or are watching live TV rather than recorded stuff. I dont know whether it's the hard drive, or whether that's normal? It's not very noticeable, it just appears to be skipping the odd frame.

If you've just installed and haven't rebooted you may still be in guided setup (maintenance) mode. Check the oztivo wiki for more details...
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

oh right, that makes a bit of sense. It finished it's indexing an hour or so ago however I havent restarted it since. Given what i've just read about 'jitter' maintainance mode it sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. Really stoked with the machine overall so far, all the flatmates are busy playing around with it and seem to think it's a fair bit more intuitive, and responsive that the sky tv guide/system

Cheerrs

The Jitters

Quote Originally Posted by reticent
    oh right, that makes a bit of sense. It finished it's indexing an hour or so ago however I havent restarted it since. Given what i've just read about 'jitter' maintainance mode it sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. Really stoked with the machine overall so far, all the flatmates are busy playing around with it and seem to think it's a fair bit more intuitive, and responsive that the sky tv guide/system

Cheerrs
    reticent,

I had similar issues after initial setup, as DJC pointed out in maintenance mode the unit is in NTSC mode where the field/frame rate differs from PAL hence some padding every second or so. I rebooted my box to ensure it was no longer in maintenance mode yet I still had the jitters although less consistant. Especially bad when the live TV buffer was filled up and I'm catching up.

With help from the guys here on the forum and some dude I met in Jaycar I convinced myself to buy a new disk, and my problems went away.

As it turns out the 80G disk my unit came with was loose and must have been thrown around a bit during transit. The 300G drive I have now is faster, quieter, and less problematic. Not to mention the added storage space - about 2-3 months worth of programming and still I have space for TiVo's suggestions.

Also if you want to try the OzTiVo 1.4 image all you need to do is telnet to the box on first boot, change the emulator in /etc/tclient.conf, reboot it and go through the guided setup. Just follow the guide at http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4 and you'll be sweet (just use vi if you're used to it rather than joe or pico). I have no experience with the 'native' NZ image but the OzTivo image has worked for well.

HTH

-Matt