Thread: Streaming PC to Tivo

Streaming PC to Tivo

No Tivo but keen to purchase soon. haven't found this on forums but is it possible to play video files residing on the pc down to the tivo? any limitations or format rules? have seen a lot on copying files out from tivo to p.c for burning etc but not the other way around. thanks in advance

It's not a common request, but it can be done.

The main drawback is the transfer runs in a little slower then realtime usually, so you have to start the transfer, wait a while for a enough of a buffer to be transfered, then start watching.

It's not really possible to watch shows with commercials this way as you will catch up to the transfer before it has completed. Though you can watch and ffw easily once the transfer is more then half done.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Non-TiVo Sourced Video?

Hi Bradek32,

Did you mean video from non-TiVo sources? If so...

It's tricky due to the non-standard file format used by the TiVo. From what I can tell the current state of the art is a tool called "tymplex". This thread on DealDatabase seems to be the place to start:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42006

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by DavidSymons; 14-01-2006 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typo
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

PC to Tivo streaming

Hi guys,

thanks for the responses. i guess what i'm after is to use the Tivo like a media extender in much the same way as with the Xbox or kiss player. i.e playing video clips i have downloaded of the net and that reside on the p.c.

looks like this is possible from the responses but limited in functionality and difficult to implement. due to the nature of the tivo file architecture.

thanks again for the responses.
    Brad