Thread: How to remove TiVO cover

Thumbs down How to remove TiVO cover

Call me a thick newbie if you like.

I have just installed HDRX12_3.0 20050524 on to my 300GB Seagate.
    Initially, I did not have much success due to DriveReady SeekComplete errors, UNTIL I found a posting that Darren King had articulated the exact steps to follow. Still not sure I have a faultless install yet, although it did come up with the amount of available recording time at the end. I understand that means I'm OK.

Anyhow I am now ready to install the hard drive into to my HoboTech TiVO but damned if I can work out how to get the cover off. I did manage to get the front plastic panel off. Thinking that this would show me the way, I am still stumped. Not a screw head to be seen anywhere!

I have searched the forum + Google but still no clues. What can I not see that is before me very eyes?

I have just installed HDRX12_3.0 20050524 on to my 300GB Seagate.
    Redo it again as that is now an old image. The newest one is 20051128 and found here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/onselen/iso/

Initially, I did not have much success due to DriveReady SeekComplete errors, UNTIL I found a posting that Darren King had articulated the exact steps to follow. Still not sure I have a faultless install yet, although it did come up with the amount of available recording time at the end. I understand that means I'm OK.
    I'm not sure what methods you are trying to use to install the image, nor do I recall the document you are saying I wrote therefore I am assuming that you are quite possibly doing it a rather old way (that is pre-Guided Setup which means almost two years out of date) rather than making an install CD from the ISO image, letting the CD auto boot by itself and then simply following the imaging installation menus when prompted?

Anyhow I am now ready to install the hard drive into to my HoboTech TiVO but damned if I can work out how to get the cover off. I did manage to get the front plastic panel off. Thinking that this would show me the way, I am still stumped. Not a screw head to be seen anywhere!
    There are three Torx-10 (star looking head) screws on the rear of the case holding the cover on: One along the top in the middle just to the right of the fan grille and two at the top either side. Take them out. You may have to pry the case a little on both bottom edges (I use my trusty pocket knife). Pry backwards and the lid will eventually slide about an inch. Then lift clean off. Job done.
    Last edited by Darren King; 28-12-2005 at 06:20 PM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Anyhow I am now ready to install the hard drive into to my HoboTech TiVO but damned if I can work out how to get the cover off.
    Hi Geoff,

You're not alone with struggling with this. Brings back memories of my first Tivo .

Some good instructions (with pictures) that align with Darren's post (of course!) can be found here:
    http://www.eksys.com/cover_remove.html

Cheers, Dave.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

Thanks !

First of all thanks to Rob @ HoboTec where I made my purchase. I had also emailed him direct and quickly got a helpful response.

David Symons: A picture is worth .... etc.

Darren King: Not sure how I picked up a superceeded ISO file but now have correct one (Nov) installed & running.
    DriveReady SeekComplete Errors at disk install stage was resolved when I was pricise about hard drive settings within host PC. (Think it ended up being hda1

Thanks again to all for your assistance.

Happy New Year!

Geoff.

Hi Geoff glad to hear you got it sorted.

Not sure how I picked up a superceeded ISO file but now have correct one (Nov) installed & running
    Quite possibly the oztivo Twiki's are not fully up to date. Despite a Nov 28 build date it wasn't listed until around the 10th December while people tested it. Strictly May 25 image is fine to use but there are a few fixes for novices in the Nov 28 release namely the correct networking IP address reporting. Also less important (depending on whether someone is trying to image with a newer "Mark 2" PAL tuner stereo sound mod) is the correct palmod_config files that are now compatible with both the factory fitted sound chip and the replacement one used in the modification.

DriveReady SeekComplete Errors at disk install stage was resolved when I was pricise about hard drive settings within host PC.
    Ah, that would explain it. I find that the best combo is the hard disk to be imaged set as Master and installed on the secondary IDE port (HDC in linux parlay) and the CD ROM as Slave on the same secondary IDE port (HDD). And I always leave the hard disk set as Master when installed in the TiVo rather than left as the usual default factory set CS (Cable Select).

Rob @ HoboTec
    Just in case people are wondering (or trying to Google for it) it is actually Ron at Hobotech (www.hobotech.com) who does a good job supporting what he sells locally here in Australia.
    Last edited by Darren King; 30-12-2005 at 10:03 AM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!