Thread: Green screen on Live TV - not GSOD

Changing to 720x576 gives green screen - not GSOD

Hi,
    I'm copping a green screen when I go to view Live TV on my Tivo after changing it to 720. Live TV only shows a green screen (no text so not the Green Screen of Death GSOD) and outputs the audio fine when I change the horizontal resolution to 720 in palmod_config. I can navigate the Tivo menus and watch old shows, but newly recorded ones just record a green screen (with the audio) as expected.

The Live TV picture displays fine when I go back to "544" for the horizontal resolution.

I was running Palmod v1.13. It won't let me change the horizontal shift figure. It's set to 0, but when I try and change it to anything, it displays the figure i enter for a second and changes it back to "0" on the screen! I have now just upgraded to v1.2 (v3.2 on http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...tPalModSeries1) and I still can't change the horizontal shift figure from "0".

Is the horizontal shift figure what I need to change to get the 720 horizontal resolution to display properly?

Here's my current palmod.conf output:
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# cat /etc/palmod.conf
    t_bri=0 t_con=67 t_sat=85 s_bri=125 s_con=67 s_sat=85 c_bri=125 c_con=67 c_sat=85 h_res=544 d_audio=0 t_type=0 f_table=0 h_shift=0 rf_out=60 l_delay=0 t_thresh=16

The apt Wiki has a different version in its output:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...geResTo720x576

Thanks for any info/sugggestions.
    Last edited by JohnB; 18-12-2005 at 08:18 PM.

There is always a green screen behind the picture displayed, and it sounds like you are on the right track in fixing the problem.

What are you using as your telnet client ?

If it's putty, make sure you de-select 'Return key sends telnet a new line instead of ^M' to make the changes stick.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    There is always a green screen behind the picture displayed, and it sounds like you are on the right track in fixing the problem.
    Sorry, what do you mean by there always being a green screen? I was saying that the screen is all green on live TV (except I can push right arrow on remote to view the show name etc)

What are you using as your telnet client ?

If it's putty, make sure you de-select 'Return key sends telnet a new line instead of ^M' to make the changes stick.
    I do use Putty. Thanks, Peter. De-selected that setting and now they stick. Changed the horizontal resolution to 185 like I was trying and a few numbers but no luck though in fixing the problem (still getting the green screen on live tv).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB
    Sorry, what do you mean by there always being a green screen? I was saying that the screen is all green on live TV (except I can push right arrow on remote to view the show name etc)
    Behind all live TV there is a green screen hiding, and shifting the picture left or right using the palmod settings will reveal the green screen.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB
    I do use Putty. Thanks, Peter. De-selected that setting and now they stick. Changed the horizontal resolution to 185 like I was trying and a few numbers but no luck though in fixing the problem (still getting the green screen on live tv).
    Did you follow the instructions when upgrading from the old palmod.o?

you need to do 'mknod /dev/palmod c 125 0' to allow 'live' changes without needing to reboot the tivo to check changes.

Also you ay need to modify the loadMpegOutput function in rc.arch to show.
    insmod -f /lib/modules/palmod.o `cat /etc/palmod.conf`

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Did you follow the instructions when upgrading from the old palmod.o?

you need to do 'mknod /dev/palmod c 125 0' to allow 'live' changes without needing to reboot the tivo to check changes.

Also you ay need to modify the loadMpegOutput function in rc.arch to show.
    insmod -f /lib/modules/palmod.o `cat /etc/palmod.conf`
    Thanks, Peter! Got it all working after trying in the 190s for the Horizontal Shift setting. Pretty sensitive as there's only a range of about 10 for a picture to even be on screen for me.