Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Audio Problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    8

    Audio Problems

    I have just noticed that for some reason the sound is only coming out of the Right audio channel for my Tivo.

    I have already checked the following:
    1. The Sky decoder is definitely out putting left and right channels (or at least when I plug the audio directly to my TV I get sound out both channels)
    2. I have checked the palmod_config settings, the audio setting were actually set to Dual Audio Input: Disabled, but changing that and restarting the Tivo have not helped.
    3. I have check the Audio Cable that I'm using (it works fine with my DVD player)

    At this stage I'm out of options, the only I can currently think of is my Tivo is a little sick and either the audio in or audio out is physically broken.

    Does anyone have any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Chris


    1 Philips TiVo with Cache Card, 160GB.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,199
    If your TiVo system sounds are out of both channels (by this I mean the confirmation "click" sounds and startup animation sounds) then the problem is 99% going to be a dud Micronas 3430G sound processor chip. The other 1% may be a bad input RCA socket but this is rare.

    These chips do fail now and then with the same problem you describe. It is repairable and I have stock of the chips if you know someone who can surface mount solder or you are welcome to contact me to arrange sending me your board for repair.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    8
    Darren,

    I checked the 'click' sounds that the Tivo makes and these are only coming out of the right channel as well. So I guess that means I have a bad RCA Input?
    Thanks,
    Chris


    1 Philips TiVo with Cache Card, 160GB.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,199
    No it means you have a bad RCA output. All internal system sounds have nothing to do with the RCA inputs.

    Is this happening with both sets of A/V outputs? You may be able to use the secondary set if you are lucky. If it is happening with both sets of A/V outputs then it is a faulty D/A chip.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,032
    Do you/have you extracted any recent recordings from the TiVo?

    To also rule out a dud 3430G and/or input socket, try playing back a recent recording on your PC you should have both channels.

    Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Lost Audio
    By tonys in forum New Zealand General Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2018, 06:02 PM
  2. TiVo has no audio today yet TV itself has audio fine
    By Annieliese in forum Question and Answer Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-12-2017, 12:27 PM
  3. Audio problem.
    By gregn in forum Question and Answer Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 07:41 PM
  4. Audio Problems
    By cez801 in forum New Zealand General Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM
  5. Audio Does not go through
    By gideon_friedmann in forum Question and Answer Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 05:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •