Thread: Network Configuration Boo Boo

Network Configuration Boo Boo

Hi,
    I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle using nic_config_tivo & trying to set up a wireless bridge - Needing help if possible please!

I've had a look through the help files on oztivo and can't seem to find what I'm after -
    I originally had my TiVo configuration set up for DHCP - but in my quest to try getting the bridge & router playing nicely with it; I've changed the settings:
    I followed some instructions from a post on the netgear forums and have changed the network configuration of tivo via nic_config_tivo;
    to an IP address of 192.168.0.6 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.0.1.

Now I can't connect to tivo whatsoever - TiVo is still working fine but I can't access tivoweb or telnet to it either. (I've got it connected as it was via ethernet directly to the router)

Any way to reverse my bad and get it back to DHCP?

Any help hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
    Paul.

What version of software is your TiVo running.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

It's the most recent version. (Darren imaged it for me a month or so ago)

I've tried setting my mac to 192.168.0.5 and connecting it via ethernet, then telnetting to it, but still nothing.

I'm really at at loss here, so any help hugely appeciated.

Thanks.

o.k,

On the current software there is a small program that sends a mail message to the TiVo listing its IP address. Does the mail message IP address correspond with the IP you are trying ?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    o.k,

On the current software there is a small program that sends a mail message to the TiVo listing its IP address. Does the mail message IP address correspond with the IP you are trying ?

Peter.
    Yep - 192.168.0.6 - the TiVo message comes up with that IP address; (which is the one I had changed it to via nic_config_tivo) - but I get no response when pinging it or trying to telnet to it. - i've rebooted numerous times, but nothing.

Ok,

I assume you are still testing using hard wiring, leaving the bridge out of it.

You said that you also set a gateway of 192.168.0.1 is this the correct address for your router ?

Does 192.168.0.6 come up on your router when the TiVo connects ?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    Ok,

I assume you are still testing using hard wiring, leaving the bridge out of it.

You said that you also set a gateway of 192.168.0.1 is this the correct address for your router ?

Does 192.168.0.6 come up on your router when the TiVo connects ?

Peter
    Yep - I've been trying to get it to work with tivo hardwired via ethernet to the router (I tried connecting it directly to my computer also via ethernet but nothing). My router address is 192.168.0.1 (for the admin page etc) - and no, TiVo doesn't appear on the 'attached devices' list on the router as it normally would. - But when I reboot tivo and reconnect it to the router, the message still comes from TiVo saying it's available on 192.168.0.6 (but guide data runs out on Saturday)

I've got Darren sending me a serial/pc cable which will arrive next week sometime. I'll take my tivo to a friends place who has a pc and try connecting it via serial..

It does sound like you need to access your box via serial or make changes directly on the hard drive booting the OzTiVo installer or a linux boot disk.

If using the serial cable don't forget to go through the instuctions @
    SerialPPPWithXP To setup the PC side of things.

Peter.