Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my TiVo about to die?????

Is my TiVo about to die?????

Hi all

Have got home tonight to find the TiVo wasn't responding to the remote control at all and there was no receive or recording light showing. The "live tv" show was running though. I was unable to change channel or go to my Now Playing list. Put some new batteries in the remote without any improvement. I have a second remote as I have my TiVo cabled through the house for bedroom viewing also so tried that one with no success either.

Tried a reboot from TiVoweb interface - which obviously the network connectivity still exists (at least for now anyway) and I was able to use remote after it came back up. However - it was very very slow to react to any input requests - as in, push the TiVo button and wait about 30 seconds before the "Now Playing" list appears. Eventually the picture locked and I needed to carry out a restart again. In the last hour I have been able to watch TV through the TiVo for about 10mins max before it freezes up.

Sooooooo - I'm guessing a hard disk failure is about to happen myself.
    What are everyone elses thoughts?

Any suggestions how I can get the data off the current disk (fast) before it stops completely.

I have a huge amount of stuff I really don't want to lose and I'm sure my 2 year old son will be just as gutted at the loss of all his Wiggles & Clifford The Big Red Dog shows..hahaha

Series 1 Philips HDR312
    Version 1.6.2 Emulator Image
    200Gb Western Digital HDD
    Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital

An update to fault....

I have been able to drag a few shows off overnight to my pc using Tytool.
    TiVo seemed to go ok overnight - stayed running obviously while I copied several Gb worth of video during the night.

As soon as I tried to force a daily call this morning though it locked up again on "preparing to call".
    Series 1 Philips HDR312
    Turbonet

Question

I don't know what it means, but I had the exact same original problem a couple of weeks ago. I "fixed" it by rebooting too. Hasn't happened since. My TiVo has only crashed 4 to 6 times in the year or so I have had it. I noticed on the forums it seems some people find they need to reboot every week or so. This was the first time I ever saw it have no lights on the front rather than freeze with what was on screen at the time.

Mine was dead yesterday morning, no lights on at all, I pulled the power to reboot and it came back up ok. Been getting 'jerky' playback for a couple of days before, but that may just have been Sky! Couldn't be anything to do with the compressed data slices, using excessive processor capacity?

I've seen this behaviour (black screen, no lights) once on each of our TiVos in the last couple of days. Both have been fine since a reboot.

Would have done more investigation but the pressure of others sitting on the couch waiting was too great .

Cheers, Dave.

PS. I'm in Oz.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

Unfortunately a reboot is only a short term fix for mine and then it will lock up again. It also doesn't enjoy doing a forced (or automatic) "daily call up" either.

I thought it was just Windows that needed reboots all the time!...haha
    Last edited by Muzza; 17-11-2005 at 03:07 PM.
    Series 1 Philips HDR312
    Turbonet

I'm no Linux expert - in fact far far from it, so hopefully this doesn't sound too dumb but can you "Ghost" (or similar) the existing hard disk image onto another disk?

Series 1 Philips HDR312
    Turbonet

I've had this happen several times to both my tivos.
    Just a reboot fixes it.

Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, a reboot doesn't fix mine anymore.
    (It's had about 50 in the last day)

I'm guessing the hard disk is kaput so getting what I can of it is now a priority hence the "ghosting" option maybe.

Does anyone know if this will work?
    Series 1 Philips HDR312
    Turbonet

Well, I'm just guessing.. but if you copied the disc to another disc it might not work anyway. You'd possibly be copying corrupt data wouldn't you?
    I've never tried doing that to a TiVo disk. If you have network access to your tivo, and a dvd writer and the tivo stayed alive long enough you could grab via tytool all the programmes off it to your PC and put them onto a dvd.