Thread: Is my TiVo about to die?????

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I was thinking that if it was an "imminent hardware failure" of a hard disk about to fail then it may have been possible to ghost the image onto a new disk and the replacement would bolt straight into the TiVo and carry on like nothing happened.

I have done this many times without issues as far as Windows goes. It's a matter of ghosting before the disk corrupts the actual system data and even then sometimes if a sector is bad it has "rebuilt" itself ok once on the new disk.

I haven't tried with Linux (TiVo image) though but I'm thinking that Ghost will just see it as an image and not be concerned by what kind (fingers crossed) and therefore the TiVo will boot back up and carry on like nothing happened.

Just waiting to receive another 200Gb drive now.

I have got the TiVo connected to my PC which also has a DVD writer and I have been using Tytools to drag some stuff off but it's things like Live8 (the entire thing - which the newly released DVD isn't going to have) that becomes a hassle to put onto DVD when it will take several discs (it is 20+ Gb) - heaps easier currently having it all at the press of a button anytime!

I also have the entire race from Bathurst (all day's worth) from 2004 & 2005 - more just as a novelty thing, but it does impress people new to TiVo....haha
    Last edited by Muzza; 17-11-2005 at 05:47 PM.
    Series 1 Philips HDR312
    Version 1.6.2 Emulator Image
    200Gb Western Digital HDD
    Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital