Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparision to "My Sky"

Question Comparision to "My Sky"

Hi... I'm a newbie to all this. But how does this method of setting up your own TiVo from imported overseas parts compare to the new "My Sky" service now being offered by Sky NZ?

It's avertising claims to have the same funtionality as overseas formats like US TiVo, UK Sky+ and Oztel IQ... does it?

The service starts in December 2005 in NZ, it will cost $500 and they substitue the decoder you have with their new one which is supposed to record 60 hours. Will it be worth it?

Thanks

Gurti

One thing straight away that springs to mind.. with TiVo you can extract the recordings... also, you can skip the ads on TiVo (30 second skip).

Thanks for your quick response!

In their FAQs they say you can extract recordings to DVD or PC... but they dont say anything about auto 30secs skips for ads, but that u can fast-forward them in the usual way

Hi Gurti,

1. My sky is direct digital recording so both picture and sound quality will be much better than Series 1 Tivo.
    2. My Sky has two tuners so you can record one thing while watching another or record 2 programmes while watching a 3rd recorded program.
    3. So long as TV1,TV2 and TV3 continue to supply sky with guide data their program guide will almost certainly be better (more reliable) than ours (but note if you read their FAQ they say something like "At the moment" they have access to TV1 and TV2, if they lost this access things would not look so good)
    4. "30 second skip" is not a whole lot better than just fast forwarding at maximum speed (ie it's not an "intelligent" ad skip function), both Tivo and My Sky let you fast forward thru add breaks.

If I didn't already have a Tivo I wouldn't think twice.. I'd get "My Sky" (I may do at some point anyway for the 2 tuners and digtal quality).

Hmmm...

I love the TiVo web interface - set it to record something anywhere in the world.

Nowhere have I read that My-Sky has a Wishlist functionality - you have to know when a program is on then set it up to record! I like the TiVo to think for me; e.g. I've told it "Hurricanes Super 12 Live" and so come February it just starts recording.

My Sky's 60 hours isn't much - I have 2 x 200GB HDD in my TiVo.

I can't really see that the My Sky guide data can be any better than the TiVo's - maybe they'll start giving the programs episode names - instead of what they have now where most are labelled "Tonight".

And the TiVo's linux based ... some people like to fiddle.

In saying all that, if I didn't have a TiVo maybe I'd consider My Sky but I'd want to have a play with it first to discover what the operational pros and cons are. Certainly if it breaks, it's not yours and they'd have to fix it, so I suppose it's like you have an endless warranty - that can't be bad.

Anyway that just some of my $0.02 worth.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

I can't really see that the My Sky guide data can be any better than the TiVo's
    I guess I meant more reliable (and l*gal), don't get me wrong I'm insanely grateful to Jaidev et al for the guide data we have..

I agree TivoWeb accessibility is cool, when I first got the Tivo I enjoyed showing it off on my Treo cell phone but in nearly 2 years I have never actually used it like that in anger..

Wishlists are nice but I've only ever used them a couple of times..

Of course I love my Tivo and wouldn't have wanted to live without it over the past couple of years but the technology in the My Sky unit is a generation ahead of the venerable Series 1 and addresses two of my biggest complaints about the Tivo, quality and single tuner..

I'm just playing devil's advocate anyway since I doubt my other half will let me spend the money on a new PVR

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think you actually _own_ the Sky PVR.. even though you are forking over $500 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by brucer
    I guess I meant more reliable (and l*gal)
    Well, yes... you got me there!

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think you actually _own_ the Sky PVR.. even though you are forking over $500 for it.
    No you don't - but then it's only $500 and as I say... if it breaks they fix it.

I better stop thinking about it too hard I might get myself into trouble.

Then again there's the old argument about being able to record 2 channels of nothing is still nothing. Hence why we just dumped Sky movies + Rialto and for the same money get the 2 at a time DVD deal from MovieShack.... but that's another story.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Same as the Foxtel IQ over here. In fact what you are mentioning over there is the same debate people over here have regarding TiVo vs Foxtel IQ.

I've always said that if two program recording is your thing then get two TiVo's, but yes there is a point about free breakdown service. I guess I'm lucky in that if my TiVo's ever break down I don't need to go far to fix them. Only ten steps to the workshop .... not that any of them have broken down yet
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

If it is the same as the foxtel unit, and I have heard that it is, then I assume Sky would have the same control over the recorded material - ie the ability to delete your programs if, say you didn't pay your bill...

Also, I notice that the ability to skip through ads has been removed - I'm not sure if they are referring to a '30 second skip' style button, or complete removal of fast-forward when ads are playing.... Anyone know ?
    US Philips HDR212 Series 1 Tivo, Cachecard with 512MB RAM, 320GB hard disk, OzTivo Image 1.6.2-20061109. Tivo rocks!
    New Zealand