Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparision to "My Sky"

They still have fast forward thru ads like the Tivo, they are referring to a feature on some US PVRs where you can intelligently skip the entire ad break (not just 30 second skip).

Well i'm not planning on jumping ship anyway (sorry to disappoint ). I'm too comfortable with my wishlists etc. I don't have a big freaking satellite dish bolted on my house ATM either. I don't see the TiVo scene disappearing when it comes out. Personally, there is only one time when I wish I could record two channels at once in a week.
    Last edited by Wanted; 02-11-2005 at 12:37 PM.

I won't be "jumping ship" any time soon either.. just having a discussion one of the biggest worries I see with "My Sky" is the apparent uncertainty of long term support for free-to-air channels.. if they ever stopped supporting those it would be pretty useless..

Personally I think the SkyPVR will end up being an ideal solution for the majority of users out there. It is a zero-hassle black-box single-unit with dual-tuner solution that includes guide data backed by the content provider. It would be nice to see small features such as wishlists and auto padding included, but I still think it is a pretty strong solution for Sky customers.

Of course, for those of us too tight to subscribe to pay-TV and those who actually want something they can tinker with I think the TiVo is idea!!!

The thing that would do it for me would be multichannel (5.1+) audio.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanOffShotgun
    The thing that would do it for me would be multichannel (5.1+) audio.
    Dolby 5.1 Digital Sound is expected to be available on selected channels in mid-2006 when SKY’s new satellite becomes available.

I get dual/triple tuner capabilities out of having more than one TiVo, with a couple on FTA, I never really need to record 2 Sky Digital channels at the same time...
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

of course 2 tivos is a _lot_ more expensive than 1 "My Sky" box plus the extra remotes and requiring extra amp inputs if you have a home theatre setup etc..

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    Personally I think the SkyPVR will end up being an ideal solution for the majority of users out there.
    I aggree - the majority of people want a simple box that they can plug in (better yet, have it plugged in for them) that they can just use and forget about.
    People who own Tivo's are a little more playful... we like to tinker, hack, & upgrade - we like to extract video, we like to network it, we like to have a web interface from anywhere on the planet - even if we rarely leave town.
    For most the MySky will do more than they dreamed of... we Tivo users dream a little more :-)
    US Philips HDR212 Series 1 Tivo, Cachecard with 512MB RAM, 320GB hard disk, OzTivo Image 1.6.2-20061109. Tivo rocks!
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    Personally I think the SkyPVR will end up being an ideal solution for the majority of users out there. It is a zero-hassle black-box single-unit with dual-tuner solution that includes guide data backed by the content provider. It would be nice to see small features such as wishlists and auto padding included, but I still think it is a pretty strong solution for Sky customers.
    You're right, but you know the really sad part of all this is? Its that I've had my Tivos for over 5 years now - which is an absoloute age as far as computer technology is concerned.

And in all that time, the best that the competitors to Tivo can come up with so far are pretty much an also ran device before its even released.

When I got my Tivos I figured there would be a better option to a Series 1 Tivo with no Guide service out in NZ by about now, here we are late 2005, and Sky here are going to release a ho-hum dual tuner model with a mediocre guide data service for at most 7 days ahead and no wishlists or other advanced Tivo recording features.

Thats the part that really saddens me - we should be able to do better than this by now.

Tivos design was so superior to the competition, but when you think about it, you realise that 5 years on, an old series 1 has a better & more thought out UI and easy to use features than the latest "My Sky" DVR.

I guess good design dates very slowly, but a good Tivo alternative would be nice to have sooner than later [just like it would be good to have a realistic alternative to Telecom in the phone & broadband market sooner than later].

My Sky is not that Tivo alternative based on what I've seen of it.

Still I'm sure that some of the masses of Sky subscribers will take to it, and maybe, once they've used it for a while may actually be ready to use a superior device like an updated Tivo [Humax anyone?].