Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Running out of data

Status update

OK, this problem is proving to be more problematic to track down than first thought.

This is the first problem with the dev system to date, and its proving to be a difficult one. The answer is probably simple its just a matter of time, the testing cycle of creating and loading the slices is long unfortunately. I want to get to the bottom of it so that it can never re-occur.

To buy a bit of time, in the interim I've posted a modified version of jaidev's slice (cheers jaidev good redundant source) into both of the dev emulators and tested it, it loads ok; so that will bring data back, but will probably confuse season passes in the short term. Watch out for that. [Dev system has turned into an ed-ulator for the time being]

Will use this thread to update on status...
    Last edited by DJC; 03-10-2005 at 02:54 PM.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Just force a daily call to pickup the temp slice and it did not download any data??
    Philips HDR X12
    120G + Turbonet

Quote Originally Posted by sadrake
    Just force a daily call to pickup the temp slice and it did not download any data??
    I've pushed the slice number forward again try again...
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite

Yep that did it, downloaded and imported , as you expected season passes arent working.
    Philips HDR X12
    120G + Turbonet

Downloading here now too.

May I suggest that if there are shows you MUST have, set up a manual recording for them until the data is fixed. I do this for shows that I don't want to miss anyway

Back in action.

Just forced a call and the data seems to be reappearing again. Nice work. Shame about the season pass senario but I'll get over it.

Good luck on the permanent fix.

By the way - did anyone notice that the forums are an hour behind...haha
    Series 1 Philips HDR312
    Version 1.6.2 Emulator Image
    200Gb Western Digital HDD
    Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    I've pushed the slice number forward again try again...
    Looks good to me. Tivo GUI now has program information. Web GUI however has duplicated information.... I didn't do a 'clear guide data' before hand...

Also, does this fix also help the old emulator? (I've only just moved over to the dev emulator.)

Terminologoy suggestion:
    Old emulator (64.151.65.200:80): Prod (Production)
    Dev Emulator (210.48.107.133:80): UAT (User Acceptance Testing)
    Other one.. (210.48.107.133:800): Dev (Development)

Sorry, that's just the way I think of things... may help others, and can be integrated in DNS when we get images that support DNS.

Cheers -

Mr Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by MrGadget
    ....shows a lot of red #’s from Sunday onwards...

Could it be to do with daylight saving in some way??? Probably not but…
    The prize goes to Mr Gadget; definitely a daylight savings change issue.

This is a result of the database abstration layer. Feeding information into the database needs to correct for timezone on the way in - and way out, particularly when data straddles the change day the time zone correction changes. Seem's obvious now when looking at the symptoms.

Anyway, I'm onto the issue the next slice should be back up off the main database later tonight (Tue) [after testing].

/DJC

Oooohh goody... what's the prize?
    I'll settle for a fully working Tivo (unless there's a trip for two somewhere nice...)
    US Philips HDR212 Series 1 Tivo, Cachecard with 512MB RAM, 320GB hard disk, OzTivo Image 1.6.2-20061109. Tivo rocks!
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    The prize goes to Mr Gadget; definitely a daylight savings change issue.

This is a result of the database abstration layer. Feeding information into the database needs to correct for timezone on the way in - and way out, particularly when data straddles the change day the time zone correction changes. Seem's obvious now when looking at the symptoms.
    /DJC
    Any developer thats ever had to deal with Daylight savings knows what a huge pain in the *** it is. Used to be the absolute bane of my life when i worked on a metering/billing project - some of our data would come in adjhsyed, sone unadjusted and all of it needed to end up in the system with the right offset - not even to mention how do you compare days that have 50 1/2 hour periods with those that have 48 .

This does make me wonder about what the "correct" daylight savings settings should be for the dev emulators.
    Should we have DS turned on in Guided Setup and configured for Auckland as per the directions on the NZTivo site?
    OR DS turned off and let the system update the clock when it gets the first slice post changeover?
    OR should we be setting the time manually after the change using SETTIME?

DJC - I imagine the above vonfig will have some impact on the success of your changes when we "fall back" in March - can you let us know how you've got things set up at some point.

Thanks for all the great work BTW - I for one certainly appreciate the efforts that all you guys put into supporting the local Tivo community.

Cheers,

Brendon