Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Running out of data

Quote Originally Posted by bcolloty
    Should we have DS turned on in Guided Setup and configured for Auckland as per the directions on the NZTivo site?
    Not sure where on that site you are looking but the imagewithscreenshots1.4 says ""Daylight Savings" select "no" and press "select" button"

Same is repeated on the Cable GS page.

I understand this to be the correct settings with either manual intervention or script to fix the DS issue.
    US Philips HDR212 Series 1 Tivo, Cachecard with 512MB RAM, 320GB hard disk, OzTivo Image 1.6.2-20061109. Tivo rocks!
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by MrGadget
    I understand this to be the correct settings with either manual intervention or script to fix the DS issue.
    Sweet - I admit i was working from memoryand it's been a few months since I did the setup - what was confusing me was the "Keeping Time" entry under Post Setup on the site - I was assuming that the chages made there would actually deal with the Daylight Savings issue as well as just setting the time.

However I'm pretty sure that when I forced a daily call against the dev emulator on Sunday morning the time did get updated on the Tivo - no manual update or script required.?!?!

Cheers,

Brendon.

Quote Originally Posted by bcolloty
    However I'm pretty sure that when I forced a daily call against the dev emulator on Sunday morning the time did get updated on the Tivo - no manual update or script required.?!?!
    Yeah - that will generally fix it - but of course there is a lag between DS change & daily call - so long as there is nothing you want recorded during that time there is no issue.
    Thompson created a script to deal with this - see the thread here - Note - two traps if you are using this - make sure it is saved with Unix line endings (not windows) and make the script file executable ( eg chmod +x Daylight_Savings.sh).
    Last edited by MrGadget; 04-10-2005 at 07:32 AM.
    US Philips HDR212 Series 1 Tivo, Cachecard with 512MB RAM, 320GB hard disk, OzTivo Image 1.6.2-20061109. Tivo rocks!
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by MrGadget

Correct, TiVo's Daylight savings is broken for the southern hemisphere...
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

Exclamation

DOWN with daylight saving!!

Smile Here is the low down...

OK

a) The problem was with the daylight savings switch. It was an issue in the code (python) that inserts the data into the database not recognising this shift. Essentially the daynum calcs were then left one hour out levaing any days first show, if it started in the first hour, in the previous daynum.

This was why some channels showed up when the slice was loaded. Those channels that didn't have shows in the first hour were ok. The rest confused tivos indexing scheme.

b) The emulators are ntp'd and track well, so nothing to do there, and yes the daily call works well for syncing; I never change my tivo time.

c) The slicing system date adjustment has been made (-13 hours) so its back to normal operation, the next problem I expect is in 6 months time (-12 hours).

I have stored away the transitional data from this change so I have something to test and work with. So I'll do that as time permits to ensure we have the best chance of a smooth transition next time. Its added to the list of developments to be done.

d) Slices have been restored and from yesterday and pushed to the emulator, its a full zero referenced slice containing all days. Today's slice will start being build as usual around midday and will be business as usual.

e) On my tivo I did a "clear and delete prog data and todo list" this morning and reloaded the slice. I can report that all is good.

The question remains as to whether tivos will just tick along and bring themselves back inline, or whether a clear and delete of guide data is a better option?

I suggest a clean out might be a good option. If you choose to do this then backup your season passes first! restore them after the event.

f) As the guru's Jaidev and Ed have declared we are generally looking to move to this new system as a platform for moving forward. (Just unfortunate that the opportunity presented itself on daylight savings weekend)

Theres plenty of potential in this new platform with its database abstration including web interfaces, more augmenting agents, mulitple feeds of data, custom headends including FTA mixes an so on (and therefore lots of work too)

g) A new development emulator has been created so the current systems on orac are now no longer considered development. There was an earlier post on naming etc. I suggest:-

Original emulator (64.151.65.200:80): "The Ed-ulator" - Backup production (always pays to have some redundancy)

Orac:-
    Main Emulator (210.48.107.133:80): Production Emulator
    Test Emulator (210.48.107.133:8000): UAT (User Acceptance Testing)

We will be testing headends and stuff on another emulator, there are a few game testers over on the dev forum so we'll enlist their help. Once things look good we will move any updates to the UAT emulator for wider public testing.

We still recommend GS'ing against the port 8000 emulator [for logos] and then dropping back to the port 80 emulator for general running.

I'll be splitting slice production so that we have a stable production slice and an option to work with development slices. But, most of the slicing work is fairly complete. What remains is the completion of web interfaces and community input to the data.

Thanks for your patience through this one.

Cheers/DJC
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    The question remains as to whether tivos will just tick along and bring themselves back inline, or whether a clear and delete of guide data is a better option?

I suggest a clean out might be a good option. If you choose to do this then backup your season passes first! restore them after the event.
    Great work DJC...
    They pretty much should after the data for the previous slice runs out since there maybe some duplicate data if the current slice is loaded due to differing daynums..
    Let's say it will prob take a few days for your TiVo to sort it self out if you don't do a 'Clear and Delete of Guide Data / ToDo list..' which I recommend..

And as DJC says backup your season passes first!..
    Last edited by jaidev; 04-10-2005 at 10:11 AM.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

Will the 'new' slice have the 'nonag' dummy guide data in it? Having done a clear prog data over the w/e, I'm expecting the nagging to start again soon!

Thanks to all responsible for keeping our Tivo alive!

Your tivo should never nag on the new system; unless I've missed something.

No need for NoNag slices or channels.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Good job! TY!