Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emulator offline

Emulator offline / Change to Orac main NZTiVo Emulator

Before somebody starts asking... My webhost had a hardware failure, and as such the emulator (64.151.65.200) is currently offline. I don't know what the ETA is yet; since I don't know specifics of the failure I don't have any guesses... If it's a fan, ps, memory, etc it should be back pretty quick, if it's an HD then restoring will likely take more time. Will let ch'all know when I hear something.
    Last edited by jaidev; 29-09-2005 at 09:45 PM.

need some free hosting

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalAddict
    need some free hosting

I have a cable modem

any word from your web host yet?

Yo...

Responding in order here...

Thanks for offers of space, but I'm cool. Besides not paying for my current webhost, I've also got my own box at work on a citylink connection, so I'm not hurting for static IPs or hosting space.

The actual hardware failure was the hard drive. Worse, the admin is out of town; as Murphy's Law would have it the thing decided to die the day after he left for several days of vacation in Minnesota (from California). Everything was up and running within 24 hours on a backup box, but it's at .199, so the IP only nature of the Tivo bites us in the butt again. I checked into getting .200 forwarded to .199, but that would require a reboot of the Solaris based firewall, which he is quite understandably reluctant to do while half a continent away from the box. The earliest anything is likely to happen is Friday our time, though more likely Saturday, or perhaps even later. He may decide to keep things running on the backup box for a while, unknown at this point.

So, where does that leave us? Well, I see several options. First, the backup box does not have the emulator running on it at the moment. I could of course get it going, but frankly I don't see the point. As an IP address change is required, I personally think anybody doing so would be better served by going to the dev emulator. If you have network access to your Tivo, you have 2 options that I see: 1, change to the dev emulator, port 80 (this is documented elsewhere, I won't go into detail here), or 2, manually grab a slice or two and run via loadguide, until .200 comes back (if .200 gets pointed at .199, I will then go through getting the emulator running on it, for the folks on dial up or having other difficulties with changing tclient.conf).

For those who have trouble with modifying tclient.conf, I will get services going again as soon as possible on .200, but again this is unlikely to happen before Friday at the earliest. And again, while I have the ability to get it going either on .199 or on my citylink box, I don't see the point when the dev emulator is already there and running. If you don't want to wait, go there.

Future-wise, I think we should roll an nz image which uses DNS for guide data, this would solve the problem quite nicely. Tony was mentioning last night he may get another emulator, if he does and I have time I'm happy to look into creating a master image. I'm also happy to host it on my citylink server. Also, I'm contemplating just passing the emulator torch to the dev emulator crew. Having only 1 Tivo, I'm not on it, but I understand folks have been having good luck with it, and obviously the development is more active over there. I'm welcome to thoughts and comments on this issue. If this does happen, I will continue to keep .200 running for the foreseeable future; all I will do is note in the original emulator thread that .200 is deprecated and point to the newer install instructions.

Apologies for the outage folks. It's totally out of my control, and as luck would have it, it happened at about the worst time possible with the admin being on vacation. He has, by the way, been extremely helpful throughout this. He had to do some research on forwarding .200 (which he did very quickly), and also gave me root access on .199 within a few hours of the change over. But it's just bad luck I suppose...

Thanks ed.. I'll have to see if I remember how to use loadguide I would consider switching to the dev emulator but things have been so smooth for so long using your emulator I've got out of the habit of fiddling with the Tivo and I've basically managed to forget how it all works

I'm totally with brucer

Things have been going so smooooooth
    Too many cobwebs to be blown off before I decide to swap to dev emulator (unles there are bulletproof instructions somewhere)

I'll wait .. and tell the wife to wait until the end of the weekend

Passing the torch

Thanks guys, appreciate the support... That being said, had a chat with Jaidev offline, and the general consensus here is that this would be a good time to encourage migrating to orac... From what I hear, the real dev action is on port 8000, port 80 is said to be quite stable. And, the guide data is a bit better as there's more redundancy. Essentially, Jaidev and I both see the future there. Consider us version 1.0, orac port 80 as 2.0, and port 8000 as 3.0Alpha. Jaidev is happy to continue supplying data indefinitely, and I'm happy to continue hosting indefinitely, but in the end we'll both end up on orac ourselves.

I believe that the only step necessary to go to orac is edit /etc/tclient.conf and change the IP to 210.48.107.133 - if someone can confirm that, 'twould be a good thing. Once that's confirmed I'll modify the original emulator post for the new setup.

Again, as we realize there are folks out there for whom changing this is non-trivial (I am aware of at least a few grandmother types who were setup on dialup by the family geek), I'll endeavor to have mine up ASAP. So if you're really keen to stick with it, no worries. But assuming someone confirms the switch over is as easy as I believe it is, I'd personally recommend doing it. And I'm confident in saying that Jaidev will concur.

So folks, it's been a good run, thanks for comin' along. And here's to a bright future with our new emulator gods, Wibble and DJC. Send a few beers their direction.
    Last edited by ehintz; 30-09-2005 at 06:46 AM.

As Ed has mentioned we'd now prefer if current users of Ed's emulator migrate over to the Orac emulator, since having all users on one emulator will make it easier to manage headend changes and guide changes.. A lot of users have already changed over.

this thread by DJC explains the Emulator and how to get on to it.. (Ignore where it says the Emulator is Development Alpha, read the second post)

The short of it is...
    1. Clear all programme data (from tivo remote). I have heard of users changing successfully without clearing all programme data, although I think it make more sense to clear it so you won't run into problems..

2. Edit /etc/tclient.conf or in the later oz images the emuProxy address in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author.

3. The emulator address is 210.48.107.133

The more adventurous users can use the development emulator on port 8000, as discussed in DJC's second post. Although be warned it is development, so we will be testing headend changes on it..

I can come up with step by step instructions shortly, unless someone else beats me to it.. *hint* *hint*

DON'T PANIC We understand that there will be some users not wanting to change, or unable to change, don't worry Ed's emulator will still be functioning and my guide slices will still continue to be created and uploaded.

I appreciate and I'm sure you all do, for the great work Ed has put into and providing his emulator for your use.
    Last edited by jaidev; 29-09-2005 at 09:47 PM.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by jaidev
    I appreciate and I'm sure you all do, for the great work Ed has put into and providing his emulator for your use.
    Said work would have been completely pointless without Jaidev's guide data slices.