Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Lost

I'm Lost

Hi I'm a new TiVo user and having a bit of trouble getting things going. I have a Phillips series 1 TiVo with no network card. I have installed the v1.4 image and have setup to work through the Pace Sky box CableBoxCodeNum 2001.

The file I got from the guy who sold me the Tivo referred to editing rc.sysinit.author and enabling a command to Keep Guided Setup from bothering us. The bad news is that that part was not present in the rc.sysinit.author file on my image. Also had problems adding the sky channels.

Someone mentioned a NZ emulator. Where would I find that?

Tried booting up and going through guided setup but hung on the dialup part. (Not plussed in to the phone line is why and no number set up I am guessing.

Any help appreciated.

Don

Don, how were you planning on using your TiVo?

Just as a dumb digital VCR where you manually set the times for shows you want recorded, or have TiVo automatically record shows based on their name or genre in the tv guide.

For proper use the Tivo needs to download the guide info at least a couple of times a week from the internet.

If you can tell us what you would like to do, we can steer you in the right direction.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Full functionality

Hi Peter

I'm keen to get full functionality with my Pace Sky decoder. I do not have a network card at present so going down the serial route. Want to download the slices on to my desktop and telnet in to TiVo to update. May try and get dialup to work later or go for a net card connected to my DSL hub.
    I'm assuming that the emulator is a service emulator that holds the slice data. The only way to get there will be via the net I guess so a networked TiVo would be the way right.

Given I don't have that can I disable guided setup as per one of the site docs (GS = 0) then will I be able to set the time etc and then download and insert slices?

Still getting to grips with the lingo here.

Don

I'm not sure how you will get your tv guide slices to your tivo, when you don't have connectivity via a network card. As far as I'm aware, you cannot send files to your tivo via serial, only telnet in to the command prompt.
    You could however set up your tivo to connect to the internet, via your PC.

Actually.. I was speaking before thinking

You obviously have internet access?
    Dialup?

What ISP?

You _can_ (in most circumstances... depending on ISP) have your tivo dial up to your ISP direct and download the tv guide slices (and also to connect to the emulator to run guided setup).

I had both my tivo's doing this via their internal modems and connecting to my ISP (Paradise) and it worked well.

It's best to run guided setup and use the emulator as it's a lot easier to keep up on the play with channel adds/removes etc.

There is information here on how to use the built in modem

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...thBuiltinModem

This of course may or may not work, if you decide to take this route.
    Some TiVo's have bung modems.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Some TiVo's have bung modems.
    Good news is they CAN be fixed or at the very least you can also hook up any old dialup modem (even an old ratty 14.4k or slower!) to do the job too
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Yep! That too!

A lot easier to use the internal modem, than to muck about with ftp'ing slices to your tivo, or connecting via your pc.

Quote Originally Posted by donm
    I'm keen to get full functionality with my Pace Sky decoder. I do not have a network card at present so going down the serial route. Want to download the slices on to my desktop and telnet in to TiVo to update.
    Going the full manual route and loading slices is a pain, but if it's what you really want then I'll leave it upto one of the NZ'ers to walk you through what is required for it to work over there.

But, I think since you already are using serial to talk to your TiVo, It would be easiest to get your TiVo talking to an emulator by using PPP over serial via your PC.

This way you could run the full guided setup and even do daily calls to receive guide updates (when your PC was on).

See SerialPPPWithXP for details (assuming your using XP).

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Maybe I'll just get a turbonet card

I have a networked house including a wireless hub. Maybe I should just get a turbonet or something.

Anybody got one?

Don

Petestrash sells them and if he is out of stock I have a couple spare. The units either of us can offer are actually called "X-Factor" cards which are cheaper than the Turbonet cards but 100% compatible.
    Last edited by Darren King; 08-09-2005 at 09:28 AM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!