Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Lost

Hi Don, I use a network card and a wireless bridge to connect my Tivo to the Internet, works really well and it's nice to be able to use TivoWeb from any computer also if you have a web-enabled cell phone you can even operate your Tivo when you're away from home.. a very cool thing, maybe more cool than practical since I've only ever done it to show off - but...

I would certainly recommend networking your TiVo, It would make life much simpler. If you have cabling near the TiVo then a network card is all you need, if not then I would recommend brucer's method and use a network card with a wireless bridge or wireless game adapter (around AUD$150 here).

In case you are reading about other alternatives, I don't suggest using an airnet adapter these days as it only supports prism 2/2.5 based pcmia cards running 802.11b. 802.11b is not enough to allow streaming from your TiVo and also does not support WPA for protection, whereas 802.11G allows both streaming and WPA protection.

I am currently out of stock of network cards and expect more stock to arrive next week. Airmail to NZ is AUD$73 contact me off list if you would like to reserve one Or give Darren a shout.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Every way I turn there is a block

Gone off the modem idea and just want to get going with the setup as per the document provided by the guy who sold me the machine.

He used the image file hdr112.30.oztivo_emulator.release1.3.iso My problem is I cannot download it. Access to that file is forbidden and the NZ TiVo link is dead.

I'm being very calm....

Don

That's probably because R1.3 software is now almost two years old and been out of date almost nine months being superseeded with R1.4 that also comes as a bootable CD where you simply put the TiVo drive in your PC, boot the CD and follow the prompts.

It's available here:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...repareTiVoDisk

It's configured for Australia (and so for that matter was the file you quote in your text above) but there is information around to change the intended server for doing Guided Setup - in your case NZ
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King
    It's configured for Australia (and so for that matter was the file you quote in your text above) but there is information around to change the intended server for doing Guided Setup - in your case NZ
    Darren's correct, the r1.3 version is depreciated and you can no longer download that version.

You should be using the current r1.4 version as it's a breeze to install and more stable then r1.3. It also makes it much easier for us to support you when/if you have problems.

Being in NZ, you would be best following the NZ version of setup using the link I gave you in another thread ImageWithScreenShots1.4

and download the r1.4 ISO from ozTiVo_installer_HDRX12-20050524.iso

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

1.4 is the one if you have a network for guided setup

Just trying to play while I think about the network solution. I'd just like to try some of the features of the device before I invest more. A good way to learn as well. I tried turning off guided setup but got an error !no device name.

How about making 1.3 available for me to play with?

Don

There is no point in going backwards, anything you want to try using r1.3 you can do using r1.4.

If it's just an image you are after without the installer it is also available @ ozTiVo_HDRX12_3.0-20050524.mfs

Peter.

TiVo now lives

Hi Guys

Being basically badly behaved and stubborn I managed to get my hands on 1.3 and now have a fully operational TiVo set up to get the guide data manually and install via serial connection. I'm totally stoked with what the machine can do and will use for a while while I get an network card and run some cat5 cable to the box.

Many thanks all for your help with the setup. As a newbie I always felt very supported by the group.

Cheers

Don

I'm glad you have it up and running, but still don't understand why you want to use the 18 month old depreciated r1.3 image.

You should have been able to setup r1.4 exactly the same.

Peter.

Glad to hear you got it going - even though Peter is correct regarding using R1.4

I guess I'll take your above post as to your answer to my email that you don't want a network card nor for me to freely include a copy of the latest image on CD after hearing no response to my reply to you asking for a network card ??
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!