Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Setup problem with RF Pal input not working

Newbie Setup problem with RF Pal input not working

Hi
    I have just setup a UK Tivo and run the setup as per instructions but i seem to have made a mistake somehow.
    The satellite input is working fine but i have a coax aerial input which i "think" i set up ok but this does not work. ie when i switch to a channel not on the satellite input i get a blue screen saying that the tivo cannot show live tv?

I have looked at setting up the control cable/sat.setup again but the screen shows Cable w/o box -not required- and it wont let me change this.

Can anyone with more experience give me an idea what i need to do to get it working please?

Mike

Hi Mike

I have looked at setting up the control cable/sat.setup again but the screen shows Cable w/o box -not required- and it wont let me change this.
    You are not supposed to change this. If you are the same Mike that I think you are with a UK TiVo then I have given you the OzTiVo USA image, which like explained works fine on a UK TiVo. The "problem" (for want of a better word) is you have to remember that the OzTiVo software is at best a hack of the USA software and as such there are quite a lot of menu wording and options that DO NOT APPLY and for that matter DO NOT WORK outside the USA.

One of these options is the "Cable w/o box -not required-" input selection. From what you have done so far you have done the correct thing. What you have to remember is that "cable" is referring to USA cable TV network and has NOTHING to do with trying to tune your FTA TV signal. You have to bear in mind that this is only an input placeholder and the fact you cannot change the setting is normal and nothing to do with actually trying to tune your channels.

I have a feeling your actual problem is going to be one of three things:

1. You are not picking the right channel lineup for your area.

2. You do not have a valid channel lineup for your area.

3. Your TV signal is too weak for the TiVo to receive it.

In regards to point 1, I am not familiar with Tasmania but I do know when I was there 20 years ago it was very hilly. This means that for adequate TV coverage quite a lot of "translator" or "repeater" stations would be dotted around the place. If, for example, you picked "Hobart Analogue FTA" are you sure that pick is right for the channels/frequencies for your locale or are you receiving the stations on different frequencies (ie through a "translator")? Also as hinted the TiVo is NOT digital as far as the PAL tuner is concerned so DO NOT pick any of the "digital" lineups.

In regards to point 2, this is similar to point 1 but you simply will not have a valid lineup of channels for your area. Remember, as I once said to you, TiVo outside UK/USA is NOT a commercial product so it relies heavily on user input. If that means you do not have a lineup valid for your locale you will need to create and submit one to the emulator (details on www.oztivo.com for this) or at the very least you will need to telnet into your TiVo and by using "palmod_config" you fine tune another lineup to your particular TV transmitter frequencies.

In regards to point 3, you MUST have a very good signal for the TiVo to adequately function. If you currently get a snowy picture then it is more than likely the TiVo simply cannot lock onto a valid video signal.

Hope some of that helps.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Yes it explains a lot BUT

Thanks Darren
    Yes it explains a lot BUT as a complete novice at hacking a TIVO i first of all need to know how to use my tivoweb connection to get to a bash prompt and then some simple instructions how to run and use palmod_config.

The only options for the channels on guided setup was Hobart Analogue FTA so that is the first problem.
    if i can learn how to get into my Tivo and change that then i might get it sorted.

Hope some kind soul will help me

Mike

Running palmod_config is not done from TiVoWEB.

First of all you will need to use a telnet program to get the bash prompt. Unfortunately Windows does not help us as their telnet program is broken. Therefore do a quick Google for a freeware program called "putty" and use that.

Secondly you are going to need to ascertain the IP address that your TiVo is currently running on. If this is DHCP then you will need to go into your router and deduce what this is. The current R1.4 image that I gave you will NOT help here as the mail message reporting the IP address is broken. There is a workaround to this but it's a catch 22 as you need to have telnet access in the first place to be able to make the change!

Thirdly once you get a bash prompt you then simply type palmod_config and make the necessary fine tune adjustments and save them.

As I also touched on a while ago by phone the first and second step can be avoided if you don't know how to do that by simply plugging a 3.5mm to DB9 serial lead from the TiVo to your PC and using a terminal program (like hyperterm for example) at 9600baud 8N1 parity. However given you do not have a serial lead then that makes it a little hard too unfortunately. If you are really stuck and handy with a soldering iron the details on how to make one are in the hardware section of www.oztivo.com or I sell proper factory assembled leads in the spare parts section of my website.
    Last edited by Darren King; 02-09-2005 at 09:20 AM.
    Darren King

thanks

Thanks Darren.
    I have now got the ip address and the tivo prompt in putty.
    i then went through the menus to "Fine Tuning"
    this sets up default channel 0 and I have entered the new frequency but it just clears the screen and the same screen comes back. ie to setup channel 0 again.
    it also says to hit x to exit but this doesnt work either so i'm assuming i have to set up "putty"?

any ideas?

Mike

Hi Mike

i'm assuming i have to set up "putty"?
    No. If you can get into palmod_config (which you are) then no you have PuTTY working and established a telnet session.

i then went through the menus to "Fine Tuning"
    this sets up default channel 0 and I have entered the new frequency but it just clears the screen and the same screen comes back. ie to setup channel 0 again. it also says to hit x to exit
    It does not sound like you are doing it correctly. You have to FIRST tell it the channel you want to fine tune (ie 2,7,9,10,whatever) and THEN it will ask you for the new frequency (ie Channel 7 is default 182250KHz frequency). You need to enter in the correct frequency. After you do this you should instantly see a picture on the TiVo and palmod_config will repeat back to you the new frequency you have entered.

Do this for all your desired channels and then remember to save before exiting palmod_config to make all the changes stick.
    Darren King

mmh

Hi Darren,
    when i type palmod_config i get an error "Unable to open palmod interface (-1). Any changes
    made will not take effect until TiVo is rebooted.
    Press any key to continue."
    i press a key and palmod seems to work offering me this menu
    Palmod Configuration Tool (v1.13)

1. Picture Settings
    2. Audio Settings
    3. Tuner Settings
    4. Other Settings
    5. Save settings and exit
    6. Exit without saving

Choice:

I enter 3 and get

Tuner Settings [currently: Samsung/]

1. Philips Tuner
    2. Samsung/ALPS Tuner
    3. Select Frequency Table
    4. Fine Tuning
    5. RF Output Channel
    6. Return to main menu

I press 4 and get

Fine Tuning

1. Display Current Settings
    2. Fine Tune Channel
    3. Return to previous menu

i press 2 and get

Fine tuning channel 0.
    Default frequency is: 0 KHz
    A value of zero will remove the entry.
    Enter a new frequency [currently 0 KHz] or 'x' when done:
    and when i enter a value it just loops continuously to this menu again

I noticed the tuner was set to samsung so i altered it to Phillips and then tried again the only difference being that it says the default frequency is 4625KHz

eg
    Fine tuning channel 0.
    Default frequency is: 46250 KHz
    A value of zero will remove the entry.
    Enter a new frequency [currently 46250 KHz] or 'x' when done:

i dont see what i am doing wrong>

thanks again for your help
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King
    No. If you can get into palmod_config (which you are) then no you have PuTTY working and established a telnet session.
    Darren, he is using putty to setup a telnet connection.

It is important to disable 'Return key sends Telnet New Line instead of ^M' when using putty with with palmod or the changes won't stick.

Quote Originally Posted by PALMOD USERS GUIDE
    If you are using PuTTy as your telnet client, you will need to disable ‘Return key sends telnet New Line instead of ^M’ in the Connection settings.

From the System menu select ‘Change Settings…’.
    Click on ‘Connection’ in the Category window.
    Deselect ‘Return key sends telnet New Line instead of ^M’.
    Click the Apply button
    You can get the whole guide here 'ThepalmodUserGuide.pdf'

Regards,

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    It is important to disable 'Return key sends Telnet New Line instead of ^M' when using putty with with palmod or the changes won't stick.
    Ta. Forgot about that one.
    Darren King

Ta

thanks
    that seems to work - when i've got some more time i'll try it properly and hope that it works.

thanks again

mike