Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Telstra Saturn Digital Cable

Yeah that looks like the one.

I have already registered my interest from the mailer they sent out. The mailer did say that it would have more channels than any other service. Of course it could be just the Sky Digital music channels added and Discovery T&A. The $200 installation fee seems a bit steep for just swapping a new STB in.

There are some additional channels to what Sky have from what I can tell.
    As with the price, it's probably the same deal as it was when Sky digital first started. They have to re-coup some of the start up costs somehow.
    That price probably wouldn't last forever.

Well I have my Telstra digital cable booked for install next Friday. I have learnt that the new set top boxes will only support RF or composite video output . While I am sure the video output will be an improvement over the analogue cable, I was really hoping for s-video, scart RGB or component video output. I guess Telstra will realize this has been overlooked eventually and upgrade the boxes over time.....

It will be like all things.. start out simple, then get more advanced. I would say that they'll most likely get better decoders once everything is humming along and connections are increasing.

Well I finally have Telstra Digital Cable installed and working.

As mentioned earlier the set top box video output is only composite or RF. The picture is a minor improvement over the analogue cable... Having an HDTV capable TV, I am just hanging out for good quality video to feed the thing. It is very tempting to have a look inside the ADB set top box and see if the s-video or RGB pads are available to wire-up.

I got the IR codes from http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/ir...ega-Austar.tcl installed on my 2.5.5 UK Tivo just fine and they appear to work ok on medium speed. Note to 1.3 and 1.4 oztivo image users - I think the Austar IR codes are already installed in these images. The new ADB box is a bit slower at changing channels than the last box, but hey who watches live TV anyay?

Interestingly, the install uses an additional cable modem for the set top box to download epg and do pay per view. It makes Telstra's $10 per month rental for the same modem for internet purposes seem a bit steep considering you get one with digital TV which is only an extra $5 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by tarx
    I got the IR codes from http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/ir...ega-Austar.tcl installed on my 2.5.5 UK Tivo just fine and they appear to work ok on medium speed. Note to 1.3 and 1.4 oztivo image users - I think the Austar IR codes are already installed in these images.
    The Ir code slice is downloaded from the emulator when running GS. it is not included on any image.

I have emailed Ed a copy of the latest IR slice on the 18th of August for inclusion on the NZ emulator, but as yet I have not recieved a reply.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    I have emailed Ed a copy of the latest IR slice on the 18th of August for inclusion on the NZ emulator, but as yet I have not recieved a reply.
    Can this slice be downloaded from somewhere for inclusion on the nzdev emulators as well?

/DJC
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

I would not recommend opening the box!

No broadcasters broadcast in HD..

The cable modem can only be used with the set top box, from what I understand. So that's why it's included in the extra $5 at no charge (required for the EPG and buying movies).

Quote Originally Posted by tarx
    Well I finally have Telstra Digital Cable installed and working.

As mentioned earlier the set top box video output is only composite or RF. The picture is a minor improvement over the analogue cable... Having an HDTV capable TV, I am just hanging out for good quality video to feed the thing. It is very tempting to have a look inside the ADB set top box and see if the s-video or RGB pads are available to wire-up.

I got the IR codes from http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/ir...ega-Austar.tcl installed on my 2.5.5 UK Tivo just fine and they appear to work ok on medium speed. Note to 1.3 and 1.4 oztivo image users - I think the Austar IR codes are already installed in these images. The new ADB box is a bit slower at changing channels than the last box, but hey who watches live TV anyay?

Interestingly, the install uses an additional cable modem for the set top box to download epg and do pay per view. It makes Telstra's $10 per month rental for the same modem for internet purposes seem a bit steep considering you get one with digital TV which is only an extra $5 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    Can this slice be downloaded from somewhere for inclusion on the nzdev emulators as well?
    Try IR-oztivo-v218.slice.gz

I would have sent you a copy of the slice as well, but I don't have your email address, and you have emails disabled in the forum.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!