Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telstra Saturn Digital Cable

Telstra Saturn Digital Cable

Hi all, it looks like Telstra Saturn are finally gearing up to launch digital cable. I got this link from a colleague who received an offer from Telstra to upgrade to digital cable.

http://www.telstracleartv.co.nz

So while I look forward to the improved video quality of digital cable, the questions are:
    • How will this effect the nz tivo community channel lineup and guide data?

• Will we be able to control the new digital set top box with the Tivo IR blaster?

I am keen to get some thought on this started so we can hopefully be able to support digital cable. Obviously we have no real details from Telstra yet, but I hope the channel lineup numbers will remain the same with maybe additional channels not found on sky?

I recall that digital cable in the UK with ntl needed to use an additional adapter box to allow the Tivo to blast the ntl digital cable set top box.

Anyway here's hoping its a smooth transition....
    Last edited by tarx; 09-08-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Telstraclear have been announcing the move to digital since 2003. The reason given for the delays was trouble securing the STB's. At that time they were to be Advanced Digital Broadcast (ADB) STB's. I don't know if they have changed suppliers for their plans to start later this year.

Even both www.stuff.co.nz and http://www.nzherald.co.nz/ don't have any recent info, let alone details.

But getting back to your questions, It's way to early to even guess what the situation will be if and when it finally gets going.

But the following points will apply.

• We won't know if we can capture the codes to control the STB till we try.
    • Most channels will already have guide data from sky.
    • If new channels are added and guides are available online, then there is a good chance someone will write a scrapper for it.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I'm on the trial.

Yes, it will work with the box.. Using a pre-existing OZTiVO IR Code (Austar).

So what is the actual model number of the box you have been supplied ?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

The box is made by ADB and the model number is: I-CAN 3000C-Q68-TNZ.
    ADB also make the Austar Boxes. I have the Saturn Digital Box I have here working with my box using the Austar OZTiVo IR Code. Looks like it's just a standard release box that's been re-branded.

Whats the picture quality like? Any better than the horrible artifact full stuff from Sky Digital?

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    The box is made by ADB and the model number is: I-CAN 3000C-Q68-TNZ.
    ADB also make the Austar Boxes. I have the Saturn Digital Box I have here working with my box using the Austar OZTiVo IR Code. Looks like it's just a standard release box that's been re-branded.
    Quick question on the Saturn Digital Box, does it have support for scart RGB out like the Sky boxes do? When I had Sky I definately noticed a big improvement in picture quality using that connection.

Cheers,

Markt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazzagazzanz
    Whats the picture quality like? Any better than the horrible artifact full stuff from Sky Digital?

I haven't seen Sky Digital so can't comment on the picture quality. But it's very good and the EPG on the box is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by markt
    Quick question on the Saturn Digital Box, does it have support for scart RGB out like the Sky boxes do? When I had Sky I definately noticed a big improvement in picture quality using that connection.
    This box doesn't but I'm guessing that might be a future thing. It does have two sets of Video/Left/Right out though which can be handy.

This is sounding good so far, IR working and guide data working - I like it!!

The digital cable box must be something like in the following URL. Can you confirm this zollymonsta?
    http://www.adbglobal.com/products/do...000_Series.pdf

It would certainly be great to get the new digital cable boxes with scart RGB output which my UK Thomson Tivo running 2.5.5 would love as video input.

Come on Telstra, hurry up and deploy digital to my house soon....