Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tivo Time Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Wibble
    ntpdate included on r1.4 is a very different beast to r1.3 on last years image. the whole issue is handled differently to avoid the clock warp issues some people were having with r1.3.

Unfortunately the code examples you gave to find ntpdate will die on /dev/console. TiVo does not support -prune or -e (exclude) directories from find/grep, so I can't think of another global search that won't fork ATM.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I tried the search first and they did die, I did search manually through any folders i could find that had config files or similar in them and could not find any reference to ntpdate using the loopback address for time.

Any ideas on where the otclient process is picking this up from would be appreciated.

It's definately not set up by the installer on the current image like that, so which guide did you follow to set your TiVo up. This may give us some clues as to where you went wrong.

Alternativley it may just be easier to start from scratch again.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I used the guide on nztivo.net to setup my Tivo

http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4

I had trouble with the time from the beginning and found the the postcodezones file on nztivo.net was missing.

I think i may have a bad postcodezones file installed and will check tonight for the dreaded ^M

http://oztivo.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-267.html
    Last edited by sadrake; 10-08-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Reading through this archived thread, Ed points out the NZ emulator directs the ntpdate back onto the TiVo. This was fine for r1.3, but ntpdate does a lot more in r1.4

So unless anyone in NZ has a better method of syncing r1.4 I suggest adding a cron job to run /bin/ntpdate -b 192.43.244.18 129.6.15.29 132.163.4.103 at least a couple of times a week. This will touch timestamp and sync your clock.

You might want to try it from the command line first an make sure it sets the right time for NZ.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 10-08-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Question

One last question is my Cron Job correct for running my set_NZ_time.sh script at 4am every day. Im not use to cron (Windoz mainly)

If it is then im putting this one to bed.

0 04 * * * /hack/bin/set_NZ_time.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Thanks for all the help BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by sadrake
    0 04 * * * /hack/bin/set_NZ_time.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &
    Yes that looks fine, assuming you made the file 'set_NZ_time.sh' following thomsons instructions and you uploaded 'rdate' to /hack/bin as it is not included in the r1.4 image.

Peter.